Restless Legs started with short daily - any suggestions?

Amba:

Im just wondering how would putting a second bag of saline through the dialyser would help RLS? What contaminants is it removing?

It has been awhile since I studied this subject, but one answer is there are loose fibers in the dialyzer which can get in your system. Also, I think the other thing is patients can have an allergic reaction to the dialyzer material.

I was thinking about this today as to why I had the RLS at my first unit until I rinsed with a 2nd bag saline, but did not have the problem at my current unit with 1 bag. I recalled that when I was in my first unit, I was on re-use before I found out what resuse was and switched to single use. But I believe I was already on single use when I corrected the problem by using a 2nd bag to rinse the dialyzer. It could be possible that one is having an allergic reaction to the particular dialyzer he is using. My dialyzer model has been changed numerous times, each time the company decided to change to a different model.

Don’t recall if Eston said her RLS occured on the tx, off tx or both. but in my case, the RLS occured as soon as I got going on the tx, so it was obvious to me that I was reacting to something in the tx. There could be more than one cause for RLS since ppl without kidney disease supposedly experience it, too. It seems like the body’s way of reacting to something which is inhibiting it’s normal functioning.

Glad you are feeling better, Eston. Yes, it is great being able to compare notes with other educated patients- it is a unique comradery is it not? :smiley:

That’s great news Eston. Just be aware that Gabapentin does make you feel very drowsy for the first couple of weeks. Even now that my hubby has been on it for years I still have to scrape him off the lounge most nights where he crashes out after dinner! :lol:

Thats fantastic Eston!!! It does make you like a bit of a zombie for the first few weeks but that goes after a while. Occaisionally I feel a little drowsy but nothing drastic. Make sure you only take it after dialysis, as it dialyses off. I have found it best to take it around lunch time after dialysis. I am on dialysis over night so take it when it suits you. I have found if I take it in the morning it makes me tired, so taking it at lunchtime works well as it helps me get to sleep at night. If you dialyse during the day, I would take it as soon as you get home, so it has time to kick in before bed time. Then you dont need to take it again until after your next dialysis. Good luck! [/b]

Thanks everyone for all of your support. It really helps a person get through things when they have other people cheering them on.

Jane - I never had RLS during a tx, even now that I am doing short daily at home. My RLS only occurs during the night. It usually starts in the late part of the evening, right before I go to bed. Then it stays around all through the night.

Oh, one more thing, Jane. I know that I have an unusual name, but I am a guy, not a girl! (People make that mistake all the time.)

Like I said, everyone has given me great support in my efforts to solve my RLS. The Gabapentin is definitely working. But, I am feeling really wonky now that I am taking it. I hope it goes away after a couple of weeks like everyone is saying because I am so wacked out I can’t even drive!

I wish someone would have told me about this side effect before I took it so that I would have prepared myself for this wackiness. Neither my neurologist that prescribed it for me, nor my neph, nor my primary doc said a thing about it. I talked to all 3 before I took it, just to make sure it was compatible with all of my other meds (I take about 20 other meds).

My wackiness is definitely worth it, though, if it relieves my RLS. I just hope that it does go away after a couple of weeks like everyone is saying.

I had another great night’s sleep last night. Yeah!

I’ve been on Gabapetin for almost 2 weeks now. On the good side, it is still solving my RLS problems. On the bad side, I am light-headed and dizzy about 50% of the time. On the really bad side, I have been having muscle tweaks a lot, especially after I lie down to go to sleep. My muscle tweaks, or ticks or spasms or whatever they are, are extremely distracting during the day. My hands are always shaky now, also. I feel like I am getting a very small taste of epilepsy.

I find it very difficult to write, to type (this simple post is taking me 20 minutes), and sometimes even to talk, due to the frequent spasms all over my body. Sometimes they make my legs jump quite a bit. When I watch TV, I usually rest my feet on the coffe table. When my legs have a pretty strong spasm, I often knock things off the table!

It is a bit difficult for me to cannulate myself, because my hands are always shaking.

Has anyone else had this problem after starting to take Gabapentin? If you have, what did you do to resolve it?

Here’s info on Gabapentin and its side effects from MedlinePlus, a US government website.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202732.html#SXX18

Here’s a fact sheet on RLS from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes of the U.S. National Institutes of Health that includes information on treatment and changes you may be able to make in your lifestyle that may help:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/restless_legs/detail_restless_legs.htm#60593237

The above link refers to the only drug approved by the FDA - ropinirole. Here’s information from MedlinePlus on this drug whose brand name is Requip in the US and Canada:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/203364.html

Eston, I did mention my hubby was drowsy etc. It did lessen after a few weeks. It is a powerful drug. Now years later, when he misses a dose the disorientation, dizziness etc come back quickly.
Hang in there, give it at least a month. :?

Thanks for the support, Beachy.

My wackiness has gone away as well as the drowsiness, thank goodnes, so I can drive again. Yeah!

But the tremors and muscle tweaks are still hangin’ around. They are very bothersome, but at least I can cope with them. I do hope that these side effects go away soon, though. I’ve been on Gabapentin for almost 2 full weeks now.

I was thinking of asking my neorulogis if upping my current dose of clonazepam would help with those. He’s on vacation until next week, so I won’t be able to ask him until then.

estonb I would definitely tell your doctor about the symptoms you are experiencing. It may be you need a dosage adjustment perhaps.

I was on “Paxam” for it - again an eplileptic drug. I forget the cost, but it was for 100 tabs, so per tab worth every cent!!! :smiley:
…I still have about 1/2 of the second pot I got, as since on nocturnal it has been relieved, altho I do occasionally get a little twitchy when on the beast, early on. Soon settles done tho. 8)

Gabapentin costs me $4.80 a month thankfully. Thats for 15 tablets.

I know its been a while since the last post on this subject, but here goes. Anyone heard of Dr Gott? He is a syndicated newspaper columnist that also runs an active practice. Many time folks write in about rls some on dialysis but most do not mention dialysis. Almost all report relief of restless leg syndrome believe it or not using a bar of soap placed under the sheet on one’s bed. The only stipulation is that its a bar of soap. No drugs, no rubs, nothing but the soap. I do not have a problem with rls, so I cannot speak from experience. Anybody willing to give it a try?

I did a search on the Internet using the search terms Gott & restless leg syndrome. I found an article in the NW Herald by Dr. Gott where someone wrote in asking about the bar of soap under the sheets. He responded:

Dr. Gott wrote:

Dear Reader: Once again, I want to emphasize that the soap-under-the-sheet therapy usually does not relieve restless legs syndrome. It is, however, appropriate to prevent nocturnal leg cramps.

In your case, you seem to have had a double benefit from the soap, so I see no reason to discontinue it. I cannot argue with success.

For those readers who still have restless legs despite alternative therapy, there is a new drug on the market (Requip) that holds promise in relieving this symptom.

I don’t know how (or if) this works for leg cramps, but apparently Dr. Gott does say it will not help RLS. Here’s the article:
http://www.nwherald.com/StyleSection/gott/348801338327838.php

Some things work for people just because they believe it will (called the placebo effect). The mind is a more powerful tool than most people give it credit.

I’ve been trying to find something that works for me for Restless legs and arms. I tried vicodin but I really don’t like the constipation with vicodin and sometimes it wouldn’t work. I was given a prescription for ambian but that just made me more sleepy with restless legs and I felt groggy in the morning. A friend said she uses tramadol for a severe case of rls since childhood (non kidney related). I tried that last night. It eventually got rid of the leg sensation but left me wide awake. At 3 am I took an ambian to see if I could sleep. I did fall asleep but woke up nausiated and vomited. Oddly, the first thing I tried a few weeks ago was an old prescription of xanax. Each time I’ve taken the xanax I was able to sleep. Not thinking it was an appropriate drug for rls, I’ve been looking for something else, but from what I’ve experienced, xanax might be the appropriate one for me. No side effects, no groggy feeling.

Have you tried Neurontin? When I was on in-center thrice a week, RLS was my biggest problem. On the dialysis-support mailing list, I was asked to check with my doc about Neurontin. I did. I started it and the problem disappeared.

Maybe you should check with your doc about this?

Kamal

I will ask about neurotonin. I tried Requip last night. It didn’t work either. I was started on a low dose because I already have low bloop pressure. At midnight, I could tell it wasn’t working so I took a second dose. At 3:30 this morning, still wide awake, I took an Ambien.

I’m dialyzing 5 days/week for 2hrs 15min or so, 18L at 450 blood flow. Maybe I need to do more. I don’t feel as good as I did in center which shouldn’t be the case.

Hi Wendy,

No, that shouldn’t be the case. On a day-to-day basis, how you feel on dialysis is entirely about water removal. If you’re not feeling as good on daily, chances are, you are pulling off too much fluid. Talk with your nephrologist about your dry weight–it may need to be adjusted. Ask about taking off a bit less at each treatment.

Hi,
When do you get the RLS…right away or towards the last part of the tx? What is your average goal? What is your FF? What is your pre and post bun and KT/v? Your scrip may be minimally adequate.