Second thoughts

I have had my catheter now for a little over a week and I am starting my training in about a week, and I am having second thoughts about all this. Can someone just reassure me that things will get better and that this was worth going through,
I’m sure the beginning is the worst part, right?

thanks for any feed back you can give me again
a

AlexNY71,

I know you are scared, but believe me it’s the best alternative. Hemo tends to be harder and more stressful on your body, and unlike hemo, people tend to handle and last longer on PD. It takes a little getting used to, but after awhile it’s great.

Keep your head up and don’t loose your faith.

Best Wishes,
LolyJ

Alex,
Yes, things will get better. You are still healing from the surgery to place the catheter. The freedom you have on PD allows you to do your exchanges at your convinience and based on your schedule. Also the diet is much better as fluids are not as restricted as if on hemo. I have been on PD for 1 1/2 yrs now and do my exchanges at night with a cycler. I have my days free and can almost forget about dialysis for the day. Once you have begun your training and become confident with your hook-ups, you will find that it is not so bad. I know that thinking about how it will all work is kind-of scarey. I find that setting up and taking down my cycler now only takes about 5-10 minutes. The first couple of times I set up took much longer as I had to follow the book but now it is second nature. Your training will answer many of the concerns you have right now. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your PD nurse. Good Luck. Ginger

Hello,

I would say that it was a month and a half to two months before my exit site was healed enough that it wasn’t a painful bother. I’ve had mine in about a year now and there is no pain at the exit site at all. I do still keep a thin gauze dressing on it, I’m just not comfortable with a bare exit site.

I know that I was frustrated right after the tube surgery, every painful twinge at the exit site was a reminder of what I would have to be doing and that there was a tube hanging from my body. But now, I barely think about it during the day.

I’m 36 years old, close to the same age as you I think. I work 45-50 hours a week at two jobs that I enjoy, I go out with friends, I spend time with my husband, I spend time with my family. My life is very normal, other than having to be home by 9:00 every night to ‘hook up’. I hope that once you get over the initial fear of starting something new and unknown you will be able to get back to normal, whatever that is for you.

They say time heal all wounds. You will do fine …it was scary when my dad started dialysis at home 5 months ago…but now life is back to normal…he is leading a normal life…

Good to talk to people , family , friends and supports groups online and offline…all will be well be assured.