Short daily and fluid removal

With short daily it is possible one is removing less fluid per tx., but what are the limits of how much may be removed per tx?

When doing short daily, we are prohibited from removing more than 1100 ml per hour for a 2 hour treatment (this is what we call “short daily” here). If we gained too much for that, we remove no more than 1100 ml/hr and catch up the next day, or, add some time to the treatment.

Pierre

I’ve always tried to limit my fluid removal to less than one kilo per hour - incenter and at home. Also even if I was running for longer than four hours I would limit my total fluid removal to less than four kilograms per treatment.

These days something weird has to happen for me to be three kilos over dry weight since I am dialyzing just about every day but last month it happened. I went to DC and had three days off in a row (after dialyzing for twelve days straight). I left about a kilo and half of fluid on the first run home and then about half a kilo extra on the second run. I actually would rather be a touch over true dry than a touch under because I think when you dialyze more frequently getting truly dry is less important.

I think what is important is your average extra fluid volume. With a three day a week schedule my average extra fluid volume could be two kilos (if I was removing four kilos per treatment), while with a six day a week schedule my average extra fluid volume would be one kilo (if I was removing two kilos per treatment). Under both schedules my weekly fluid removal total would be the same but the average fluid burden on my vascular system would be double under the three day a week schedule.

Ones average fluid burden decreases in direct proportion to an increase in treatment frequency.

Crikey 1100ml/hr is pretty rough! I usually cant tolerate any more than 800ml/hr and even then it makes me feel like crap. If on conventional Dx I try to keep it uner 700ml/hr. On nocturnal we are limited at 400ml/hr, and you arent left feeling washed out with a massive headache!

Dear Bill, My name is Grainee. I am a member of the KidneyKidneydisease@yahoogroups.com and through Sue and Tish, one of our moderators, was able to watch your brillianlt video on self dializing,
an absolutely dazzling experience !! Never saw anythng like that before.
I know ’ practice makes perfect ’ but you have it down to a science and it
was riveting to watch you ! Thanks for sharing that with all of us. I have
what is called MCD aka NIL Disease (Proteinuria) that I got in 2001 and have been from remission to relalps twice, done the Prednisone route and
do all I can to stay well. I am once again in remission and hope to never have to go back to that evil steroid, Pred. again. Along with aches and pains, Pred. helped me to gain 60 unwanted lbs. and have taken off 25 of them in the last couple of months. You are so photogenic, I might be inclined to ask you for your autograph in person ! I wish you GOOD LUCK and PRAYERS for your future. Take care and God Bless ! Grainee (I like to say " May the most that you wish for be the least that you get " !!)

Wow!!! I’d be flatter than a blini, if I tried to remove 1000 or more in an hour!!! :shock:
Our nocturnal regimen has an advised limit of 400…and I must admit I’m on or close to it most nights. I was 300’n’something Friday, but I ran @ 500 last night (my short 6-hour-mostly-awake run) I haven’t been higher than that since in-center training. :slight_smile:

Pierre wrote:

When doing short daily, we are prohibited from removing more than 1100 ml per hour for a 2 hour treatment

I get confused with ml/per hour vs killograms. If your limit is 1100 ml/hr. how many kgs is that for the whole tx?

Bill wrote:

I’ve always tried to limit my fluid removal to less than one kilo per hour - incenter and at home. Also even if I was running for longer than four hours I would limit my total fluid removal to less than four kilograms per treatment.

We’ve always heard that one should gain no more than 2K on weekdays and 3K on weekends- this is referring to 3x in-center txs. Are you saying that in your program it is considered healthful to gain as much as 4K? Would like to know what everyone is advised to gain when it comes to SDD or SND vs what each is comfortable gaining?