Snakey fistula

Because my fistula is so snakey and “rolls” I am afraid that I won’t be able to ever learn Buttonhole even with reading this.

Any advice? My first fistula failed after only 10 days and this 2nd one I have only had since May and have already needed to have 2 Fistulograms where they had to fix a collapsed area both times.

That looks like a very nice long fistula! I wish mine was like that…anyway, you should take good care of it…

• Don’t sleep on top of it
  • Excercise it daily by squeezing a wet towel for 15min
  • Try keeping the arm straight often
  • Ask Dr. whether its okay to take a baby asprin daily

Good luck!

Hi Angie
My best advice is don’t give up because buttonholes are fantastic, stress goes from 10 to a zero when they are formed nicely.
While I don’t have the same problem as you because my fistula is fairly small (due I guess partly because I use pump speeds on Nocturnal of only around 225, this also prevents too much stress on fistula ) mine are only about 2 inches apart and close to my wrist. The blood results are fine so even if you only have that much space they should be okay.
I always swivel cannulas slightly back and forth and occasionally pill back a bit if i meet any resistance.
Hang in there and all the best. 8)

What does keeping my arm straight do? I tend to keep it bend at my computer as I lean forward when typing and when I am not typing I lean on my arm with my chin in my hand.

I squeeze a football shaped squeeze-ball but don’t do it as often as I should.

What does keeping my arm straight do? I tend to keep it bend at my computer as I lean forward when typing and when I am not typing I lean on my arm with my chin in my hand.

I squeeze a football shaped squeeze-ball but don’t do it as often as I should.[/quote]

That works to, but try doing it everyday just for 15min…For fistulas that are new that were placed between elbow and wrist its important to try to keep arm straight for sometime till the fistula starts showing visible signs of bulging…if you don’t keep it straight often the chances of getting clotted are higher…basicly bending your arm causes blood flow restriction at the elbow…anyway later on once your fistula has developed very well with strong blood flow then you’d need not to worry of keeping straight often…

Try consulting more with your surgeon about that…check out this website to.
http://www.fistulafirst.org/

I squeeze a football shaped squeeze-ball but don’t do it as often as I should.[/quote]

That works to, but try doing it everyday just for 15min…For fistulas that are new that were placed between elbow and wrist its important to try to keep arm straight for sometime till the fistula starts showing visible signs of bulging…if you don’t keep it straight often the chances of getting clotted are higher…basicly bending your arm causes blood flow restriction at the elbow…anyway later on once your fistula has developed very well with strong blood flow then you’d need not to worry of keeping straight often…

http://www.fistulafirst.org/[/quote]They did some access flow rate test (??) where they reverse the lines 1/2 way through the test, and they said it was 800. What does that mean? I usually run with my rate at 400. And my dialysate flow (?) is at a800.

http://www.fistulafirst.org/[/quote]They did some access flow rate test (??) where they reverse the lines 1/2 way through the test, and they said it was 800. What does that mean? I usually run with my rate at 400. And my dialysate flow (?) is at a800.[/quote]

That’s a Transonic Analysis of how well your fistula is doing. The higher the number the better…along the way once your fistula matures further the numbers should go higher…

The last time I had a Transonic I was told it was over 3000 … :shock:

Wow!! :shock: I didn’t know they went up THAT high!