Starting the APD

My husband George is finally going to commence the Cycler, a Fresenius one.
The renal nurse still says he is a slow to medium transporter and CAPD would be better for him but the Nephrologist says it is up to him to say whether George should go on the cycler so he is going to start training within the next two weeks.
George still has 7% kidney function and has 750 to 1000ml urine output daily.
Does anyone know if the cycler will decrease his kidney function the same as HD does?
He wants whatever is left of his kidneys to keep going as long as possible.
Elaine39

[QUOTE=Elaine39;13159]My husband George is finally going to commence the Cycler, a Fresenius one.
The renal nurse still says he is a slow to medium transporter and CAPD would be better for him but the Nephrologist says it is up to him to say whether George should go on the cycler so he is going to start training within the next two weeks.
George still has 7% kidney function and has 750 to 1000ml urine output daily.
Does anyone know if the cycler will decrease his kidney function the same as HD does?
He wants whatever is left of his kidneys to keep going as long as possible.
Elaine39[/QUOTE]

I still have output about the same as your husband. I have been on PD for a total of almost a year now. I am a high transporter though, is the only difference. I went to the cycler after a few months, and I do a lot better on it than manuals. I go dry during the day, which gives me more energy. If your husband still has kidney function, then maybe he could do the same on the cycler. He could be on it for about 9 hours with 2 4hr exchanges and probably do fairly well. I do 9 hours with 3 2hr exchanges bc I absorb quickly. I think you all could make it work for him. Then his days will be free-er (sp?)! lol :slight_smile:

Shay is correct. He could do 4 2 hour exchanges at night. I never leave my patients dry during the day time. All leave 1000cc in and are comfortable with this amount all day, and are getting more dialysis with fluid in, not to mention the 1000cc last fill prevents possible pain by allowing the cath to float in the peritoneum. The HT nurse will have to teach him how to bypass the initial drain alarm however, if he doesn’t get out @ least 85% of his last fill of 1000cc when he connects, or 850cc. As for his daily urine output, that will depend on how much he drinks, his total UF on the cycler, etc.

Yeah, they just changed my program to leave 700 in me during the day, but I absorb almost all of it. My I-Drain alarm is set to 300, but I usually only get out about 200. It is a lot more comfortable with the fluid in during the day. I used to bleed in my drain bag bc of the cath irritating my peritoneum.