Unexpected good news

I was in for my monthly clinic visit today, and I was talking about my desire to do nocturnal dialysis with the NxStage, and how my doctor won’t support it. My social worker left the room and came back a few minutes later with the clinic doctor. The doctor told me that he would take me as a patient, and he would prescribe nocturnal treatments for me. I should be able to get that going in a week or two. I’ll have to go for training in the centre for one or two days to learn how to operate the external heparin pump, and to learn all the other aspects of nocturnal hemodialysis with the NxStage. I’m glad this happened, because I was actually considering giving up the NxStage (which I worked very hard to get), so I could do nocturnal through the Fresenius home hemo clinic that already offers it. I would have done ok with a Fresenius machine (2008K@Home), but I didn’t want to give up the portability of NxStage. I can’t wait till I can finally have my days free again.

Adam

Congratulations Adam! That is great news. I am sure your health will benefit from the longer hours on Nocturnal as well as the fact that you are freeing up those daylight hours.
Cheers

Hi Folks

Hey “ILovenxstage”

The hard part might be the first month or so when your home on your own. I hope you have a good helper.

And your right , once you get set up and have all the bugs worked out, your love being able to get good sleep and good dialysis. Then having your days to get done whatever you want.

Good Luck and Best To You
bob o

[quote=ilovenxstage;14626]I was in for my monthly clinic visit today, and I was talking about my desire to do nocturnal dialysis with the NxStage, and how my doctor won’t support it. My social worker left the room and came back a few minutes later with the clinic doctor. The doctor told me that he would take me as a patient, and he would prescribe nocturnal treatments for me. I should be able to get that going in a week or two. I’ll have to go for training in the centre for one or two days to learn how to operate the external heparin pump, and to learn all the other aspects of nocturnal hemodialysis with the NxStage. I’m glad this happened, because I was actually considering giving up the NxStage (which I worked very hard to get), so I could do nocturnal through the Fresenius home hemo clinic that already offers it. I would have done ok with a Fresenius machine (2008K@Home), but I didn’t want to give up the portability of NxStage. I can’t wait till I can finally have my days free again.

Adam[/quote]

Congratulations! I was also invited to do Nocturnal BUT my caretakers have not agreed on that yet…they’re too scared. For the most part, the interesting thing is that I don’t use heparin and researching how a heparinless Nocturnal treatment goes for me is something rather interesting to study…

Its important for the patient to take an active role with their care and make decisions along with the Dr. After explaining all the options and making any change for me, my Dr always says "what do you think and What do you want to do?
It is imortant for you to be educated about your illness and not be afraid to ask questions.