Vitamin/Mineral Loss on Dialysis

Hmmm…I’ve gotten confused. How many liters are in a bag? If you’re using a dialysate flow of 60 ml/minute then you need 7.2 liters for a two hour run right? I guess I’ve never heard of dialysate flows that are that low. I guess I don’t understand the impact of such a low dialysate flow rate. I’ve always thought that dialysate flow should be greater than blood flow.

Gus - how about an update? How are you feeling these days? What treatment schedule (length/frequency) did you settle on?

[b] Hi Bill, good to see you again!..It’s a brand new year and am really excited…can’t wait to see 2006!..hehe

Anyhow, am feeling great and hypersensitive reactions seem to have disapeared…

There were a few changes I did which include not taking ACE inhibitors, heparinless treatments, and flushing the lines and dialyzer with 600 saline fluid…

Somehow, the long term dialysis I’ve had caused my body to develop some antibodies which in turn causes hypersensitive reactions to some material particles so flushing the lines/dialyzer helped alot…the Heparin and ACE inhibitors contributed in increasing the degree of the reactions so stopping those was a feasible step in preventing any further problems…

Still am armed with Benadryl liquid 12mb…in case any reactions happen again…since 23rd December I have not taken any Benadryl so it seems we’ve nailed this time… :stuck_out_tongue:

I also take Nepro for supplements…now and then I also take Whey protein powder…in addition to Dialyvite tabs…

So far so good and am really happy…

I hope your doing well and c’mon now you have to try NxStage…

[/b]

Hey Gus,
Can you say more about this flushing technique you are using minus heparin? How often do you flush and with how much saline? Do you add to your goal for saline used from the beginning of tx? Who gave you this idea? I would be interested to know if it improves your clearance and if you feel better from eliminating heparin.

Gus wrote:
No, it does not have sodium profiling or where you can give yourself sodium…the dialysate has the normal amount of sodium an average person maintains so it’s maintained throughout treatment, now if you need more then you’d use the saline shot…

Please explain this statement. What do you mean by “saline shot”?

Gus wrote:
No, it does not have sodium profiling or where you can give yourself sodium…the dialysate has the normal amount of sodium an average person maintains so it’s maintained throughout treatment, now if you need more then you’d use the saline shot…

Please explain this statement. What do you mean by “saline shot”?

Hehe, sorry I confused you… :stuck_out_tongue: …it’s my medical street slang word for bolus infusion… where you normally give yourself saline but not as a shot like a needle shot…hehe