Ways to get information to patients

Hey, hehe…

Well done!..have you tried getting on News TV? That would be cool…

Hi y’all,
Jane wrote:

But one time, surprisingly, we were given a video to view on our unit tvs by the corporation. The video was very professionally done and extremely educational.

What was the topic of the video, Jane? How long was it? What about it made it effective for you?

I am taking the idea of the poster and running with it… will let you all know when it’s finished…

If you want to be put on a list for your center, email me at kdavis@pvhospital.org and i will contact you when it is ready!

I think it’s really a shame that chain companies limit their patients to what machines they can use… I say COME TO ME! I’m in the NYC area and have a successful program.

Will share more as it develops… contact me with any questions!

Dori writes:

What was the topic of the video, Jane? How long was it? What about it made it effective for you?

It was some time ago that we viewed the video and at the moment the subject matter escapes me- I will work on getting it to pop back into my head : ) It was about 30-45 minutes in length. What made it effective was it was very professionally done with professional actors and it made dialysis education come alive. It was fun and entertaining. I remember thinking I couldn’t believe the corporation went all out for education for once! I wondered if it was the beginning for education in the unit. But sadly, nothing ever became of it. The production also featured comedy. I recall the ending scene was this big guy who cracked a joke-might of been something like we’d better watch our fluid or we’d float away. As horrible as kidney disease is, there is a special humor we share out of the many dumb situations that occur in the unit and with our desperate attempts to deal with this life before it deals with us. The ending scene of the video captured one of these goofy situations that all dialysis ppl relate to and had me laughing.

I was really bowled over at how professional the video was. It probably cost a pretty penny to produce-well nice to see the $$$ used for the right purpose! I believe every patient readily understood the material presented as it was as clear and catchy as a tv commercial. Dialysis could become an institute of higher learning with more of the same-it held great possibilites. I’ve always thought dialysis is such a waste of life for most who either sleep or watch the lowest of the low on the boob tube. Videos are just one means of possible education -there are many more…

Fliers and posters are an excellent way to get info. out to pts… I’m one of only a few pts. in the two units I’ve been at that are even a little bit comfortable using the computer. We have one in our unit and I don’t ever see anyone using it; I’ve offered to help find what pts. might be looking for and even told the social worker I would help out if anyone needed it; so far no one has asked for help.
The first unit I was at had posters and flyers saying that they offered home hemo through another unit, in the same company but a training unit. Pts signed up and although initially accepted were later told no because they didn’t have municipal services for water and sewer. It’s alright to put up fliers and posters if the information is valid and is something that is trully offered to pts… If it’s just for show it’s a moot point. A lot of folks say that home hemo is good for pts; we need units that both offer and support it, and then let the fliers stay up! Lin.