12/06 visit to Aksys Headquarters

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Aksys corporate headquarters (the last time I visited was in July 2004). This week after Christmas is the quietest time of the year at most (non-retail) companies and Aksys is no exception, still I met with a couple of the folks working on the next generation machine and was able to say in person the same things I have written here, re: what I like about the PHD; what improvements I would wish for.

Transportability of course is a feature I could speak to directly. I shared how I was looking forward to taking a bare bones yacht charter this summer for a week in the beautiful protected waters north of Seattle. Until the NxStage became an option that sort of vacation was not an option. I also hope to go skiing up at Whistler in February another vacation not practical without transportable dialysis.

However, I pointed out that while this new vacation option was an exciting development what really mattered to me was getting the most dialysis per minute during my normal work a day life. And of course I wanted a machine that would allow me total flexibility in regard to schedule and frequency. I would very much like to try dialyzing for eight hours over night on Friday and Saturday and then 2 hours after work during the week - I would like a machine that would support this sort of flexibility.

I also do not want to give up the features the current version of the PHD offers. I like the conversational interface but I did suggest that these days we are use to being able to customize the way our software programs display. The example I gave was how message boards can display in a simplified, summary or expanded format, I thought the interface on a dialysis machine could offer something along the same line for people who needed/wanted more or less information. These days it seems like you should have the entire manual at your fingertips through a touch screen.

But beyond the look and interface of the machine I of course want a machine that offers all the same clinical benefit the current PHD offers. I said that having a bio-compatible blood circuit was important to me. I don’t have a study showing that it is better but it sure makes sense and so I said that I really hoped the second generation of the PHD would keep that feature. I also said that I still believe in the value of having dialysate flow rates (Qd) greater than blood flow rates (Qb). I brought this up because I am sure Aksys has to solve this issue, just as any manufacturer committed to injectable quality dialysate has to solve - can you make/provide enough dialysate to optimize each minute on the machine?

The current PHD reuses the dialysate - a process called multi-pass - in order to provide a Qd=800. I will be interested to see if the next generation Aksys still goes this route or if they’ll be able to figure out a way to deliver enough dialysate to allow single pass at standard dialysate flow rates. But I did say that I think getting the most dialysis per minute requires Qd greater than Qb. I also said that I believe in the value of the backflush. Or rather not so much the backflush as the process of artificially increasing the ultra filtration rate above 1 kg/hour in order to benefit from convection.

The other hope that I related was that Aksys and DEKA (the design firm) come up with a machine that is quieter then the current machine and of course a machine that is as reliable as a PD Cycler, which it’s my understanding that a cycler is very reliable. The PD Cycler came up as a suggested reliability benchmark because DEKA was involved in its creation.

It was an inspiring visit and I look forward to testing their next generation machine as soon as it is ready. On the downside I felt bad seeing the empty desks and moth balled space, remembering all the people I saw the first time I visited their facility. But I know they have learned hard lessons from their painful missteps and I was heartened that the company is still dedicated to providing optimal dialysis; to continue to deliver the best dialysis - minute for minute. The challenge will be to be to do it in a way that the accountants are happy with.

I hope the business end all works out and I’m testing a new machine in 2008.

[quote=Bill Peckham;11773]Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Aksys corporate headquarters (the last time I visited was in July 2004). This week after Christmas is the quietest time of the year at most (non-retail) companies and Aksys is no exception, still I met with a couple of the folks working on the next generation machine and was able to say in person the same things I have written here, re: what I like about the PHD; what improvements I would wish for.

Transportability of course is a feature I could speak to directly. I shared how I was looking forward to taking a bare bones yacht charter this summer for a week in the beautiful protected waters north of Seattle. Until the NxStage became an option that sort of vacation was not an option. I also hope to go skiing up at Whistler in February another vacation not practical without transportable dialysis.

However, I pointed out that while this new vacation option was an exciting development what really mattered to me was getting the most dialysis per minute during my normal work a day life. And of course I wanted a machine that would allow me total flexibility in regard to schedule and frequency. I would very much like to try dialyzing for eight hours over night on Friday and Saturday and then 2 hours after work during the week - I would like a machine that would support this sort of flexibility.

I also do not want to give up the features the current version of the PHD offers. I like the conversational interface but I did suggest that these days we are use to being able to customize the way our software programs display. The example I gave was how message boards can display in a simplified, summary or expanded format, I thought the interface on a dialysis machine could offer something along the same line for people who needed/wanted more or less information. These days it seems like you should have the entire manual at your fingertips through a touch screen.

But beyond the look and interface of the machine I of course want a machine that offers all the same clinical benefit the current PHD offers. I said that having a bio-compatible blood circuit was important to me. I don’t have a study showing that it is better but it sure makes sense and so I said that I really hoped the second generation of the PHD would keep that feature. I also said that I still believe in the value of having dialysate flow rates (Qd) greater than blood flow rates (Qb). I brought this up because I am sure Aksys has to solve this issue, just as any manufacturer committed to injectable quality dialysate has to solve - can you make/provide enough dialysate to optimize each minute on the machine?

The current PHD reuses the dialysate - a process called multi-pass - in order to provide a Qd=800. I will be interested to see if the next generation Aksys still goes this route or if they’ll be able to figure out a way to deliver enough dialysate to allow single pass at standard dialysate flow rates. But I did say that I think getting the most dialysis per minute requires Qd greater than Qb. I also said that I believe in the value of the backflush. Or rather not so much the backflush as the process of artificially increasing the ultra filtration rate above 1 kg/hour in order to benefit from convection.

The other hope that I related was that Aksys and DEKA (the design firm) come up with a machine that is quieter then the current machine and of course a machine that is as reliable as a PD Cycler, which it’s my understanding that a cycler is very reliable. The PD Cycler came up as a suggested reliability benchmark because DEKA was involved in its creation.

It was an inspiring visit and I look forward to testing their next generation machine as soon as it is ready. On the downside I felt bad seeing the empty desks and moth balled space, remembering all the people I saw the first time I visited their facility. But I know they have learned hard lessons from their painful missteps and I was heartened that the company is still dedicated to providing optimal dialysis; to continue to deliver the best dialysis - minute for minute. The challenge will be to be to do it in a way that the accountants are happy with.

I hope the business end all works out and I’m testing a new machine in 2008.[/quote]

That’s great news that they’re still open. You sure have high hopes for their innovation and hope they will give it another chance without failing.

I too am interested in what they have in there next generation home dialysis machine. We just can’t get enough from just one competitor, but I really think some great options are ahead of us.

Happy News Years!

Bill,

Sounds as though you pretty much covered the bases. Did they give you any indication as to whether or not they thought the machine could be portable?
Were you given any indication if it was going to come out in early 2008 or later in the year. I realize my questions at this point can’t be answered based on fact but answers more based on projections.

Marty

They’ve said all along that their G2 machine would be transportable. From their November 2005 Press release, they are designing a machine that will:[ul]
[li]Allow patients to perform short daily and nocturnal hemodialysis.[/li][li]Perform both hemodiafiltration or hemodialysis or a combination of both.[/li][li]Be a portable machine, allowing kidney patients the flexibility to travel with their devices.[/ul][quote=Country Girl;11778]Were you given any indication if it was going to come out in early 2008 or later in the year. [/quote][/li]
According to an Ocotober 2006 press release:

" Based on our current timeline, we anticipate the commercial launch of our G-2 system in the first half of 2009."
So it is from this projected timeline that I assumed that they would be testing the G2 in 2008 and further I assumed that I would have the opportunity to be in the initial study. Of course Aksys could decide to test their G2 somewhere other than Seattle but being the Seattle booster that I am, I naturally think there is no better place to roll out a new home hemo machine then in Seattle. All this information isn’t new but I did have questions after reading these press releases. What I heard during my visit on Wednesday was that Aksys is still dedicated to providing the best dialysis per minute possible i.e. in order to achieve portability and a sustainable business model Aksys is not going to sacrifice Qd, biocompatibility or convection. That made me happy.

That makes me happy too. I still find it hard to believe that Qb greater than
Qd is as good dialysis.

Marty

[quote=Bill Peckham;11773]Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Aksys corporate headquarters (the last time I visited was in July 2004). This week after Christmas is the quietest time of the year at most (non-retail) companies and Aksys is no exception, still I met with a couple of the folks working on the next generation machine and was able to say in person the same things I have written here, re: what I like about the PHD; what improvements I would wish for.

So, Bill are you still holding on to your Aksys stock? I am only since it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to sell them. Erich

I don’t own any stocks in any renal companies. In two years I wont own any stock at all, I pledged 1/3 of my stock holdings (such as they are, mostly Microsoft) per year for three years to help establish and build a dedicated kidney research effort in Seattle. Fortunately my remaining (I’ve handed over 1/3 to date) Microsoft stock has been inching up - more for research.

That is cool. When will the center be up and running. Erich

Stay tuned.