4 months without PD! - Aussie Angie

Hi all,

Just wanted to update my last post from May 2007.

I have now been without any dialysis for almost 4 mths (stopped in May) due to an improvement in my residual kidney function.

My last GFR was 25% & I had maintained this level for over a month. I am still having acupuncture on my kidney points & will be commencing fortnightly acupuncture to see if there could be a further improvement in kidney function. I am passing a good daily amount of urine (haven’t measured how much excactly). I usually count bananas when I’m on the loo (lol), 1 banana, 2 banana, 3 banana, etc. I have reached 20 bananas in one sitting (lol)! That’s fairly impressive.

Saw my renal doc a few weeks ago & he says I could continue off dialysis for years with a GFR of 25%. I was excited to hear that, but still worry that it’s only going to be a “short lived” respite from dialysis. I pray the former statement applies.

My Renal team & I, are currently discussing "putting off/postponing (not indefinitely) option of combined kidney/pancreas transplant. My renal Dr says it would be a travesty to transplant a new kidney now whilst I continue to have residual function in my own kidney/s,

I continue to enjoy & be inspired by reading the posts on this forum. Take care all, best wishes.

Cheers, Aussie Angie.
PS I have just had my “renal story” printed in the Qld Renal Newsletter. I will copy & paste to this forum. Thanks for your time. Angie.

I was reading your stuff & that is so amazing that u regained your kidney function!! I was also diagonised with MPA in may of 2006. I just started capd last month. i just wanted to let you know that your story gives me so much hope!!!

Hello again
Just wanted to update my story again…it’s a good news story & I hope it offers some hope for kidney patients with “acute” renal failure. Mine was “acute” not “cronic” & because of this my physician believes this is the reason why there has been some improvement in GFR.
I stopped dialysis in July. I am still taking BP & Cholesterol medications though & am on Darbepoetin (Aranesp) for low HB.
Last week I had day surgery to remove my tenckhoff (I have a working fistula as a backup)! I am so thrilled at the present & look forward to lots of swimming/surfing this summer with my kids.
My current GFR is 26% & has been quite steady at that level for a couple of months now.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas & blessings to all.
Cheers, Aussie Angie.

way to go!
what dialysis solution did you use for acute? my dad started using a product called citrasate and found it to be very helpful with better results. do you know anything about it? safety, benefits? THANKS.

Hi Kevin
I’m sorry I’m not familiar with the product “citrasate”. The solution I used was a Baxter PD solution. I used 2.5% (Green) bags & 1.5% (Yellow) bags. I then changed to Icodexterin which was to benefit my diabetes/blood sugar levels & help with a little weight loss, I alternated Icodexterin with the 2.5% glucose (Green) bags.
I live in Australia so don’t know if dialysate is named or labelled the same as where you are from.
Cheers, Aussie Angie.