A new catheter

I had gall bladder surgery a couple of months ago but my PD catheter never worked since then. The first drain was bloody and now it just doesn’t drain or fill at all. Today I was at the dialysis center where we tried injecting some stuff to break up blood clots and fibrin but it didn’t work so I will be off to see the surgeon next month. I’m not thrilled with the idea of getting a new catheter and enduring another surgery. Is it any different the 2nd time?

How long after the surgery can a person start to use the catheter again? I’m a little nervous about going through this again and while doing hemo-dialysis too. I hate doing hemo-dialysis and the diet is driving me nuts. How does a person stay sane through all of this?

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with your catheter. Your frustration comes through loud and clear–this is clearly very hard to deal with, especially when you have to do HD in the meantime.

I wonder, since your catheter was not infected–just plugged–if it might be possible to get a new one sooner than a month?

Have you seen our article about LVRO (low volume, recumbant-only) PD, which can, in some cases, allow folks to keep doing PD without having to switch to HD? You can read that here: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200505/. It’s useful to keep in your pocket as an option. Sometimes they can remove a non-working PD catheter and put a new one in at the same time, then use this LVRO method so PD is never interrupted.