A newer and better way to clean buttonhole sites

It has come to my attention over tine last several years that my ANNJ article “A Kinder Gentler Way to clean Buttonhole Sites “Sept-Oct 2011 needs an update. Over the last three years plus i have had multiple home dialysis patients contacted me about their scab removal on their button access site using the scrubber technique which they all claim that it helps them out. But I have been informed by the university of Vermont had out by Peggy Bushey BSN RN, CDN, AdamLlocke CCHT, Donna Spaeth BSN RN, CDN, Cynthia LaCroix RN, CNN Macaulay Onuigbo, MD MSc MBA FWACP FASN that they have using the following:
1.Wash access site with ant-bacterial soap and dry with a paper towel. Witch I describe in my article
2. Moisten a sterile 2X2 with sterile saline and a good drop of ant-bacterial soap {which I also recommended the soap} on each buttonhole site
3.Gently rub the sterile 2x2 over the buttonhole site to aid in penetration of soap {which I completely agree with} and leave in place for a min of 15 minutes (time varies by patients need to soften up the scab.
4. Remove the 2x2 and rinse tap with water. (This is the only disagreement I have you do not know what is the water)
5.New sterile 2X2 are used to rub off the scab (this is usually incredibly soft and comes off easily. (I used the scrubber but the same idea)

The scab should never be pick off it should be soaked off

In conclusion we that is my patients in center at home and I over the last 10 years have gone over 66,000 scrubbers cleaning no infections. It would be interesting that the university of Vermont are anyone else report their numbers, and they just did 04/20/2021 they have NOT HAD An INFECTION Related BSI in over 922 days (about 2 and a half years). +=7,200

Pt that does incenter should leave home with 2X2 tape down with paper so on arrival at the clinic they are ready to be cannulated. {S Mott has advice all his home dialysis Patints to go to soaking off their scabs call me at 573-826-8237 if you have any questions

You have written an excellent and educational guide on cleaning buttonhole sites. I always wondered how to clean a buttonhole site, but wasn’t sure where to look for information. Now I know, thanks to your blog!

buy the way needles are you using?