Abbreviations & Definitions

New to all this, my husband is the one on dialysis. I spend many hours a day here & there are some things I need help with so I am more able to understand what I’m reading. Can someone please help.

Here they are:

tx

txs

r/o

sdd

snd

ppl

erythropoietin

cannulation

Fresenius 400 B

NxStage

I believe the last two are dialysis machines & I would like to know the difference between the two.

Thanks & I would be so lost without this place.

Jane

Most answers are already on the forum, just search for them, would be alot helpful than repeating them… :roll:

tx = Treatment

txs = Treatments

r/o = Reverse Osmosis (the standard dialysis water treatment system)

sdd = [STRIKE]Slow[/STRIKE]Short Daily Dialysis : also sdhd = [STRIKE]Slow[/STRIKE]Short Daily HemoDialysis

snd = Slow Nocturnal Dialysis : also snhd = Slow Nocturnal HemoDialysis

ppl = I’m guessing Parts Per Liter but would have to see the context

erythropoietin = Often referred to as EPO it is an injectable drug that replaces a hormone produced by healthy kidneys. The hormone “tells” the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. Injections of EPO can reverse anemia by increasing red blood cell production.

cannulation = The act of sticking needles. When you insert a needle into your arm you are cannulating.

Fresenius 400 B = Fresenius is a large manufacturer of dialysis equipment (they are also one of the large operators of clinics in the US) and they have a number of dialysis machines in use worldwide. The 400B is one model of dialysis machine, other models can be refereed to as the Baby K, the H series, the 4008H, etc. These machines are used both at home and in clinics

NxStage = Is a type of dialysis machine designed to provide dialysis outside of the clinic

I thought SDD stood for Short daily, not slow??

It does - acronym overload.

S with daily usually indicates Short. S with nocturnal usually indicates Slow. All this points up why I prefer the designation High Dose Dialysis.

It would be terrific if everyone used the same abbreviations, wouldn’t it?

I’ve seen tx use to also mean transplant. Rx can be used to designate treatment or prescription.

r/o can also mean rule out as in rule out congesive heart failure.

I’ve also seen ppl used as an abbreviation for people.

By the way, if you read “SOB” in your chart, don’t get mad. It doesn’t mean what you think. In the medical context it means short of breath.

On this site, we commonly use HHD to mean home hemodialysis, SDHD to abbreviate short daily hemodialysis, NHHD to mean nocturnal home hemodialysis.

Sometimes you just have read the abbreviation in the sentence and go by context.

Or umm, cough, cough…

DH= Daily Hemodialysis … :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. I think SDD would be cool as Super Duper Dialysis …hehehe :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you Bill. The two that puzzled me the most were TX & TXS.

Yes Gus, but not all of them.

Ah yes. ON the U.K. board I also use, tx is usually transplant; dx is dialysis.

And I’ve also seen dx to mean diagnosis and today read where someone used dx to mean disease. Gee whiz. No wonder it’s so confusing.

When I worked in a hospital, dz was disease, not dx. Some other, random abbreviations:

QD = once a day (you might see this on a pill bottle)
BID = twice a day
TID = 3x/day
QID = 4x/day
I/O = intake & output
EPO = erythropoietin, the hormone that tells your bone marrow to make red blood cells
Ca+ = calcium
P = phosphorus
PTH = parathyroid hormome, which tells your bones to release some calcium
DVT = deep vein thrombosis
MI = myocardial infarction (heart attack)

You might also see qd writen out as quotidian. Quotidian dialysis would indicate daily dialysis which really means dialysis 5 to 7 days a week. I’m telling you, high dose dialysis is just simplier.

K+ = potassium
HD = haemodialysis
PD = peritoneal dialysis

Could someone please explain in laymen terms what the following means:

Kt/V
This is a formula for prescribing adequate dialysis and checking to see if the patient is receiving enough dialysis. Kt/V is calculated by multiplying toxins removed, called clearance (K), by the amount of time (t) of the dialysis treatment, and dividing by the volume (V) of water in the body. The doctor uses blood tests to learn if the patient is getting enough dialysis. The recommended prescribed Kt/V for hemodialysis is 1.3, with a minimum actual Kt/V of 1.2. The recommended prescribed Kt/V for peritoneal dialysis is a minimum weekly Kt/V of 2.0. These figures are the floor, or minimum, only. A formula for calculating Kt/V for hemodialysis can be found in the AAKP Advisory: Inadequate Hemodialysis Increases the Risk of Premature Death, listed in the Resources section at the back of this booklet.

When they say, “Kt/V for hemodialysis is 1.3”, are they referring to hours or something else?

Also, were can I find the AAKP Advisory it mentions?

When they say Kt/V = 1.3, they mean that the delivered dose of dialysis is equal to 1.3. They get this by multiplying the dialyzer coefficient (on the packaging or measured if reused) times the length of time on dialysis divided by the estimated volume of water in your body. A couple of those calculations are estimates (reused dialyzer coefficient and water volume in your body) so in my opinion Kt/V is not a precise number.

The AAKP hemodialysis advisory is on their website:
http://www.aakp.org/AAKP/hemoadvisory.htm