Absorbing p.d. fluid

I have been on p.d. cycler for a year now and it was going great until 3 weeks ago I started absorbing fluid!
I’am a fast transporter and do 5 exchanges per night. It has gotten to the point of retaining fluid . I still pas urine at leat 1500 ml or more a day. my dwell time is 9 hours each exchange is 1 hr 19 min. My numbers are very good !!! I have suggeted to my Neph to give me less dwell time he won’t even listen to that!!
I do a manual exchange with 2.5% for just about 45 min. and get out 250 ml I’am wondering if any one else has had the same problem? My neph is very pro hemo!!

Also my fluid is perfectly clear no infections this started overnight

Greg

What have your home training nurse and physician told you could be causing this problem?

When you say you got of 250 ml after the CAPD exchange, do you mean you got off 1000 ml + 250 ml or just 250 ml? Some things that can hamper draining include constipation, having a catheter that has repositioned itself so it leaves fluid in the peritoneal cavity after draining, having a protein called fibrin that clogs the drain line preventing it from draining fully. What fluid doesn’t drain could be absorbed.

[QUOTE=Unregistered;18573]I have been on p.d. cycler for a year now and it was going great until 3 weeks ago I started absorbing fluid!
I’am a fast transporter and do 5 exchanges per night. It has gotten to the point of retaining fluid . I still pas urine at leat 1500 ml or more a day. my dwell time is 9 hours each exchange is 1 hr 19 min. My numbers are very good !!! I have suggeted to my Neph to give me less dwell time he won’t even listen to that!!
I do a manual exchange with 2.5% for just about 45 min. and get out 250 ml I’am wondering if any one else has had the same problem? My neph is very pro hemo!!

Also my fluid is perfectly clear no infections this started overnight

Greg[/QUOTE]

A couple of other thoughts, too:
– Over time, the peritoneal membrane can change. So, one possibility is that this may have happened. A Peritoneal Equilibrium Test (PET) can compare your membrane now to how it was earlier. I’m guessing you haven’t had one in the last 3 weeks, but how long has it been? Perhaps you could suggest this as a way to document what’s going on. Here’s an article we wrote about PETs: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200801/.

– If you (or your doctor) haven’t seen Dr. Bargman’s article about prescribing CCPD, this might also give you both some suggestions. (It says right in the first page that fast transporters need shorter dwell times so they don’t absorb the fluid). http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200805/.

I am not an expert like many who post here, but I am wondering if the absorption you mention is fairly constant or if it varies from night to night. Also, you don’t mention if the absorption is from the day time dwell or the night time, or both. Any weigh gain as well?

In my own case I do get “negative days” but they are following by a heavy drain the next night and it all works out over time (I am a “high average” in the PET test and use a cycler). I notice things tend to vary quite a bit for more for a week or two then settle again (to an average drain of 500~600ml a day in my case). I have a simple spread sheet that I use to plot daily data I can send to you if you wish.

The forum permits me to upload an image of this plot, and I will try the image URL tool. If this works, you can see how the daily drain rate the yellow line) bounces about (from negative -200ml to just over +1000ml) but the 5 day average is fairly stable at ~500 ml. I hope this is all that is happening in your case. I placed the image at: http://serv2.itsware.net/blind/pd/Typical_PD_Plot.jpg

sORRY ABOUT THE SLOW REPLY i HAVE BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A WEEK!!! iWAS GAINING WEIGHT VERY FAST SO THEY Added a tunnel cath and went on hemo the first day they removed 8 pounds of fluid the next day 4 pounds what a load I feel so much better!!! Then they operated on thepd cath it had moved and had adhesions growing on it. I now am on 1200ml fills at night and dry during the day and my uf has been in the plus for 2 nights!!! I switched Nephs last week I went from taking water pills and no salt intake and suffering to on the road to recovery by changing Doc’s It pays to question and get a second opinion!!!

Thanks for all the help
Greg