Anyone ever tried herbs?

I tried them before dialysis and they worked! just now I read of something called kidney restore II anyone heard of it or tried it?

Herbs can be safe or they can be dangerous. Just because something is “natural” doesn’t mean it’s safe. At the top of the website selling Kidney Restore I and Kidney Restore II, it says:
Our products are the result of 40 years of research by a combined team of scientists and medical doctors. They have created products that are 100% safe and effective for a wide variety of ailments. Our products use the industry’s highest concentration for herbs. We use a 30 to 1 concentration instead of the normal 5 to 1. Higher concentrations equate to superior results.

Yet at the bottom, it says:
The FDA has not evaluated these statements. Our statements and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

So my question is…why do they say their products are effective for a variety of ailments, but then they say their products aren’t intended to treat, cure, or prevent any disease? My bet is that the disclaimer is there because otherwise they could be accused of making false claims.

There are certain herbs that have been shown to have caused kidney failure and other health problems. I’d ask before taking any non-prescription medication. Check out www.kidneyschool.org to read about alternative treatments.

Yes, I have tried them…actually, my mother knows old folk medicine, all natural remedies…she has all her favorite medicine plants all over her yard…the most common remedies are for stomach problems…however, I don’t take them to relieve or cure kidney disease, only for other complaints. If I were to choose between a prescription drug and herbal I’d choose the herbal, but you really got to know your herbs. You can’t just take them like that or else you can end up hurting yourself.

One thing I have been told that I wasnt aware of, was if you get a massage, it is important that they dont do manipulation (“cracking”) of the joints. It can break your bones.

I asked orthopedic what he thought of chiropractor or the benefits of massage and he said massage is ok (didn’t seem to acknowledge validity of chiropractors), but not to let anyone work on neck too vigorously since there is some deterioration of discs. He advised going to the physical therapists that work in the same buidling for exercises and/or go to a person who does acupuncture. Didn’t expect to get advised to see someone who does acupuncture :roll: And that was after he offered drugs for pain. Must of thought bones looked so bad would want drugs, but told him it wasn’t that painful currently and preferred natural approach.

anyone ever heard of milkthisel i used it for a while got no results so i stopped using it but i think i will try it again since i am now on home dialysis. it is used for liver damage but its suppose to have some benefits for toxins

Hi y’all,

Terry wrote:

Anyone ever heard of milkthisel i used it for a while got no results so i stopped using it but i think i will try it again since i am now on home dialysis. it is used for liver damage but its suppose to have some benefits for toxins

I really urge anyone who is thinking of taking any over-the-counter medication, folk remedy, herbal therapy, Chinese herbal product etc. to please get guidance from a professional first. Some of them can be very dangerous for you. As Beth has mentioned, Module 15 of Kidney School (http://www.kidneyschool.org has information about Alternative Therapies–including the 18 most-often used herbal products. We reviewed more than 600 abstracts about these 18 products, looking for their impact on people with reduced kidney function, and had the module reviewed by a nephrologist and a registered pharmacist who is also an herbalist.

Here is what the module says about Milk Thistle:

Name: Milk Thistle (Sylbum marianum) seeds
Milk thistle is an annual or biennial plant that grows in dry, rocky soil in the U.S. and Europe.

Uses: Milk thistle helps remove toxins, including the remains of drugs, from the liver. Studies have shown better survival rates in people with liver poisoning when milk thistle was used. Some studies have shown that milk thistle helps people with viral hepatitis, alcoholic liver disease, or cirrhosis.
Forms: Capsules
Caution:
• If you have any kidney function, use milk thistle only under a doctor’s care. If toxins cleared from the liver are removed by the kidneys instead, this may overstress the kidneys.
• Milk thistle can make transplant immunosuppressant drugs less effective. If you have a transplant, do not take milk thistle. Milk thistle may interact with as many as half of all other drugs, too.
• Allergy to milk thistle may cause a rash or stomach upset.

Clearly, a product that can interact with as many as half of all other drugs is a problem if you are taking any other drug. Milk thistle may make your other drugs stronger or weaker–there is no way to predict which way a given drug will go.

“Hoodia”…one of the most sought herbs right now…they claim that it really works to help lose weight…
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/hoodia.htm

But again, don’t try this! Especially, if there’s no evidence or proof that patients on dialysis are safe from taking this…you could end up hospitalized or even death!

There are herbs that claim to “cleanse the blood” or “remove toxins”. If you have no kidney function, then you are wasting your time taking them.

Here’s a brochure from the National Kidney Foundation called Use of Herbal Supplements in Chronic Kidney Disease:

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozItem.cfm?id=123

There has never been anything in the history of civilization which “cleanses” the blood, except dialysis. Some herbal products might stimulate diuresis, but that doesn’t clean the blood, and like any diuretic, it might actually get you on dialysis sooner.
Pierre

Herbal products that stimulate diuresis are useless if you have no kidney function. It would be basically like a dialysis patient taking lasix, which would have no effect whatsoever.

Herbs or medicinal plants ARE a part of our lives, your basic flavourings all have some property, and without plants or herbs we wouldn’t have a lot of todays medicine.
a few examples.
Foxgloves heart medication
Opium poppy, Morphine
Beetroot, extract used as a red dye in scans.

Some such as The Foxglove Digitalis are highly toxic.

The only herbs I use are those in cooking, or for non invasive thereapy, such as aromatherapy etc.

Always consult a qualified practitioner.