APD vs. NxStage

I am stage four and trying to figure the best treatment for me (and my wife). Has anyone strated on APD and then swithced to NxStage ? If so what do you see as the pros and cons of each.
Some concerns I have about APD are 1) will I ba able to sleep with the dialysate going in and out (also I have a tendancy to toss and turn a lot), 2) I understand there is a 30 lb. lifting limitation on PD patients. I can see this as a problem for me.
Some concerns I have about NxStage are 1) will I be able to do the cannulating ( is it VERY painful in the beginning (my center uses buttonholing), 2) is the setup and actual treatment a LOT more complicated than APD ?
I keep jumping back and forth between the two. Need your help.
Thanks
Bill

I am on APD, so I will try to answer those concerns. I am 20 years old, and have been on for a little over a year. I think sleeping with the tube is similar to sleeping with an IV. I’ve been in and out of the hospital so much my entire life, I just kind of got used to it. So I got used to the catheter and all too pretty quickly. The dialysate filling and draining doesn’t bother me at all unless it is around “that time of the month.” It makes the “drain pain” a little worse, but it’s nothing really bad. Some people say that you aren’t allowed to sleep on your stomach, but I find that is the most comfortable for me, and I don’t have any problems draining or anything. Everyone is different though.

As for the lifting limit, everyone is different. Your nephrologist will decide what your limit should be. Mine is only 20 lbs. I guess bc I am so small. lol.

[quote=wmjtow13;13920]I am stage four and trying to figure the best treatment for me (and my wife). Has anyone strated on APD and then swithced to NxStage ? If so what do you see as the pros and cons of each.
Some concerns I have about APD are 1) will I ba able to sleep with the dialysate going in and out (also I have a tendancy to toss and turn a lot), 2) I understand there is a 30 lb. lifting limitation on PD patients. I can see this as a problem for me.
Some concerns I have about NxStage are 1) will I be able to do the cannulating ( is it VERY painful in the beginning (my center uses buttonholing), 2) is the setup and actual treatment a LOT more complicated than APD ?
I keep jumping back and forth between the two. Need your help.
Thanks
Bill[/quote]

Hi Bill, I was never a good candidate for PD but have been using Nxstage since 2004…the cannulation is not painful. Because I am using buttonhole method there’s
no sharp needles involved. You have the choice to choose between Daily-Short (few Hours Daily) or Nocturnal (Nightly Dialysis while you sleep)

If you like to swim and get wet then maybe Nxstage is the way to go…