At home in Australia

Hi Dr John,
My name is Alan,am on home dialysis up here on the north coast of nsw.I do buttonhole dialysis,and i started in 04 doing haemodialysis,the ladder method + my fistula wasnt all that big,so at times it was tried in retograde with the arterial,boy what trouble i had.Blood leaks galore + blackening of my fistula from doing this first led me to do home dialysis,but still on the ladder way.I got 1yr on home dialysis,then got squamous cell carceoma in my neck,05.It took another 2,1/2 yrs to recover.Have been doing buttonhole for last 3yrs,both needles in antegrade + totally agree with you + what you said in the video with you + Dori .I’m on a vegan diet,+ that has made a big difference to my health as dairy +meat of any type just didnt agree with my digestive tract,so i had to change my eating habits,now its no sugar,salt or as least processed food as possible.
My dialysis is going well + the home team dont need to keep check on me like they do on other home patients because i dont have health problems like most.Even Hep C dosent bother me like it use to,and was told it was the cause of my renal failure,even the cause of cancer.Good on you for doing the video,thanx John+Dori

Dear King

Thanks so much for your kind words. I am glad we have been able to be of some help and reassurance to you. That’s really why we run this site … to help, or provide some insights that sometimes can be missed in the hurly burly of the clinic visit.

I am glad your fistula is behaving - and, yes, I do think antegrade/antegrade nedling is the right choice wherever it is possible. Sometimes, it may not be, but in my experience those situations are few and far between.

Keep up the battle. You sound well settled at home - despite the sometimes sense of isolation.

Hi Dr John,thanks for the reply + your kind words,it was pretty spot on what you said in regards of which way the needles should point.The buttonhole way is better than the ladder way,at least i only know where one nerve is+thats at the very tip of my venus port,where the tip of the bioneedle sits,ooh that hurts,even tried pulling the needle back a bit,but it still hurts.Am very skinny,no fat.I’ve tried to gain weight but it seems impossible,by the way,call me Alan,thats my real name.Keep up the good work John,[QUOTE=John Agar;20597]Dear King

Thanks so much for your kind words. I am glad we have been able to be of some help and reassurance to you. That’s really why we run this site … to help, or provide some insights that sometimes can be missed in the hurly burly of the clinic visit.

I am glad your fistula is behaving - and, yes, I do think antegrade/antegrade nedling is the right choice wherever it is possible. Sometimes, it may not be, but in my experience those situations are few and far between.

Keep up the battle. You sound well settled at home - despite the sometimes sense of isolation.[/QUOTE]