Avoiding machine leaks/blood spurts

In-center there are always machine leaks/blood spurts. I am wondering how you prevent/deal with machine leaks/blood spurts at home? When I start my home program, my machine will be in my bedroom. I am trying to prepare ahead as don’t want to have accidents on the bed, walls, flooring.

I’ve never had a blood leak from my needle sites while on treatment, thank God, however, a few times, I did have bleeding start after bandaging my sites, while I was paying attention to logging my temperature and BPs. It comes out pretty fast, as you know. Luckily, someone invented peroxide wipes! I have hardwood “parquet” flooring, and there’s never been any blood drops I couldn’t easily wipe off.

The only other mess was a single time when a water leak developed at the ultrapure filter on the back of the machine during heat disinfect. It wasn’t a huge mess as I caught it in time, but it can happen. Since that time, I make sure I leave the leak alarm on the floor near the machine even off treatment - just in case. I try to prevent the kinds of leaks you see from disconnected hoses at the centres by checking the connections at the back of the machine. At dialysis centres, these hoses get pulled, tripped over, etc. all the time, but at home, they don’t get that kind of abuse.

Other than that, there is inevitably some dropping of dialysate and/or saline during prep and clean up - just little drops here and there. All I do for that is to put a large towel on the floor around the front and side of the machine. It catches all the drippings.

Pierre

My room is carpeted. Rather than replacing the carpeting with a wood or other flooring, can anyone suggest a material I can put down where the machine will be ( over the carpeting) so I can protect against any accidents?

You can purchase plastic trays used for washing machines at Home Depot or Lowes . I found a picture for you: http://www.applianceblog.com/archives/2005/04/washing_machine_1.html

Plastic runners are also handy around the trays, although not very fashionable. :slight_smile:

Watch out when using bleach. That has been a HUGE problem with my carpets.

Thanks! I am looking for any kind of ideas like this.

You can purchase plastic trays used for washing machines at Home Depot or Lowes . I found a picture for you: http://www.applianceblog.com/archives/2005/04/washing_machine_1.html

Plastic runners are also handy around the trays, although not very fashionable. :slight_smile:

Watch out when using bleach. That has been a HUGE problem with my carpets.[/quote]

Wow that is an excellent idea! I was goin to suggest those plastic mats used under computer chairs but that is so much better as it would prevent any rolling off of any fluid leaks. Thx!

If you’re doing nocturnal, you’re probably going to be moving the machine closer to the bed once you’ve done the setup each night so that you can easily reach the controls. The machine has to be able to roll easily back and forth, so, it probably wouldn’t be practical to use a plastic tray like that.
Pierre

We cut out about a 6’ x 8’ piece of the bedroom carpet and replaced it with sheet vinyl flooring. I’ve saved the carpet piece so it can be replaced. I’ve flooded the vinyl many times, usually caused by a dumb mistake, but – for example – the Fresenius hose connections to the dialysate viewing chamber have failed and come apart twice in the last month. I’m told this is not unusual for a machine the age of ours. While I can’t speak for other machines I believe you have to expect an occasional minor flood with a Fresenius machine and plan accordingly. As Bill pointed out you also have to plan for some movement of the machine.

Mel