Avoiding malignancy

Hi all,

I recently got an ultrasound scan of my abdomen. The scan showed multiple cysts on both my kidneys. This is not unexpected, I believe. But when my neph was looking at the scan report, he wondered if we should remove the kidneys to avoid any risk of malignancy. He was also wondering if a nephrectomy would be better or if we should inject some kind of gel which causes the kidneys to shrink and die.

Has anyone had this done? What are your thoughts on this? I have been on dialysis for about 12 years now. I am 33 years old.

Thanks
Kamal

Hi Kamal,

Some years back (at least 10 years ago) in either Kidney International or American Journal of Kidney Diseases, I saw an article about cystic changes in non-functioning kidneys and the risk of progression to cancer. There WAS a risk noted–but I can’t find the article, and don’t recall what it said. I know that it is not common practice to remove native kidneys. Typically, they are only removed if they are A). Completely non-functioning with NO residual function, B). Causing problems with repeat infections or impossible-to-control blood pressure, and C). Perhaps have cystic changes. So, this would be an individual decision between you and your doctor. Perhaps he’s aware of the article I’m thinking of? I remember that there were pathology slides in it of healthy and cystic kidneys.

Thanks for the reply Dori. My kidneys have zero residual function and they have cysts. So, I might be a good case for this. Did you hear of a gel that is injected that causes the kidneys to shrink and die rather than do a nephrectomy?

Kamal

No, I’ve never heard of that, but even if it was possible, I’d still be concerned that if the cystic kidneys are present, they could undergo malignant changes. They can remove kidneys laparoscopically, which is less invasive and leads to faster healing, if that’s the route you decide to go.

[B]Hi Kamal,

I already gone through those experiences and I would suggest to have them removed, especlally if planning to remain on dialysis long term. The nice thing about todays advances is that they can remove them through small incisions, no need for large surgery for that well unless they wanna explore further and study you.

If those kidneys are left in there multiple complications arise from that, including possible urinating of blood and severe high blood pressure resulting in a stroke or cardiac arrest.

Once those kidneys are removed you may have to deal with some hypotension problems which you need to take careful observance and if your doing nocturnal then some adjdustments may be needed there.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any kinda chemical being injected into my body, but thats me. [/B]

[QUOTE=kamalshah20;17875]Hi all,

I recently got an ultrasound scan of my abdomen. The scan showed multiple cysts on both my kidneys. This is not unexpected, I believe. But when my neph was looking at the scan report, he wondered if we should remove the kidneys to avoid any risk of malignancy. He was also wondering if a nephrectomy would be better or if we should inject some kind of gel which causes the kidneys to shrink and die.

Has anyone had this done? What are your thoughts on this? I have been on dialysis for about 12 years now. I am 33 years old.

Thanks
Kamal
http://kamaldshah.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gus for your response!

Kamal