Be careful if you ride a bike!

Having a lovely Sunday bike ride with friends yesterday.Started raining, slipped going around bend and landed on the elbow of fistula arm. BROKE ELBOW! Went to emergency for x rays,came home, pain getting worse but had to do my Sunday short run on dialysis, after 3 hours on bed pain so intense I fainted!

Husband VERY upset, apparently not a very good vision, me in a faint, gargling for breath.

Now have to organise dialysis in hospital for God knows how long as I am totally USELESS! Can’t see Nocturnal happening for quite awhile. My arm would be killing me after 8 hours.

Not amused… so much for an active lifestyle. No more bikes, gym,swimming etc for quite a while. I will turn into a fat slug very quickly

Oh, Beachy, I’m so sorry to hear that you fell and broke your elbow. It sure sounds painful! Isn’t it amazing how you can change your life in an instant? It’s terrific that you have the center as a back-up as long as you need it, and when you feel better, you can get back to the nocturnal.

Before I started dialysis, I was almost always on my bike (and I’m trying to get back to it the way I used to be). A few years ago, I was riding home from work in a rainstorm and I took a turn too fast and went down HARD in the middle of the road. My head hit the pavement at about 20 miles an hour, and I ended up unconscious in the middle of the street. When I woke up there was a lady getting out of her car to help, and I just got up, picked up my bike, said “I’m ok”, and rode home. I didn’t even remember crashing, let alone losing consciousness. I just remember finding myself laying in a puddle and my bike on the other side of the road. I only discovered how bad it was when I got home and took my helmet off and it was nearly split in half. That was back when I was too cocky to go to the doctor, so it was never looked at. I had quite a nasty headache, and even a little bit of hallucination for the rest of the day. I thank the Lord that I was wearing that helmet. I hope your arm feels better soon, Beachy, and hopefully your access isn’t damaged.

Adam

Oh no!!! Maybe you should consider getting a protective sleeve/top made, like I was intending to, before my prob., last year. I know it’s a case of “bolted horse” now, but once your arm is fine again before you think about getting back on bikes/in-line skates/horses/gym equip/diving boards or whatever!!
Best of luck, Beachy. I hope it all gets fixed as-soon-as !!!

[quote=beachy;15104]Having a lovely Sunday bike ride with friends yesterday.Started raining, slipped going around bend and landed on the elbow of fistula arm. BROKE ELBOW! Went to emergency for x rays,came home, pain getting worse but had to do my Sunday short run on dialysis, after 3 hours on bed pain so intense I fainted!

Husband VERY upset, apparently not a very good vision, me in a faint, gargling for breath.

Now have to organise dialysis in hospital for God knows how long as I am totally USELESS! Can’t see Nocturnal happening for quite awhile. My arm would be killing me after 8 hours.

Not amused… so much for an active lifestyle. No more bikes, gym,swimming etc for quite a while. I will turn into a fat slug very quickly[/quote]

Maybe a very stationary bike for a while? beachy I hope it heals faster than you expect. Keep us updated.

Thanks everyone for your cheery messages.

It really does make a difference when you know there are friends out there who understand exactly what you are going through. Pain not so bad now if I don’t move it, that is. Did a 3 hour run in hospital yesterday. Don’t think I can manage dialysis in bed for a week or two at home, keep slipping down! Worst thing is not being able to move fistula arm so it is all seized up.

From the grumpy one fingered typist

[quote=beachy;15104]Having a lovely Sunday bike ride with friends yesterday.Started raining, slipped going around bend and landed on the elbow of fistula arm. BROKE ELBOW! Went to emergency for x rays,came home, pain getting worse but had to do my Sunday short run on dialysis, after 3 hours on bed pain so intense I fainted!

Not amused… so much for an active lifestyle. No more bikes, gym,swimming etc for quite a while. I will turn into a fat slug very quickly[/quote]

[B]Ewww, OWWwwww!! I’ve always stayed away from the bike and any activity where it can risk your fistula and or life!! Even my Doc suggested me to keep it safe…

Get well soon!
Merry Christmas![/B]