Bloddy bags

Help I have been on capd for about a year now, when I do heavy work like vacum or extreme bending over I get bloody bags. It is kinda hard to go about daily living trying to take care of 2 children ( 1 is handicap ) other is a pre-schooler. Doctor said not to worry, but I do. Also my stomach is always tender to the touch, and has been for a year and also a lot of fibron that clogs my transfer line. I do not have an infection.

Vacuuming is one of the most strenuous exercises you can do. It can cause a few red blood cells to break off into the peritoneal dialysis solution making the PD solution look much bloodier than it really is. In fact, 1 ml of blood can make 2 L of peritoneal dialysate look bloody.

Some other conditions can cause blood in the peritoneal fluid:
– having your period or ovulating (some blood loss into the PD solution occurs in 50% of pre-menopausal women doing CAPD)
– endometriosis
– an ovarian cyst
– pancreatitis
– use of drugs that thin the blood

You might want to ask your doctor what you need to do to rule out any of these conditions. Make sure to tell your doctor that you have belly tenderness. He/she may want to do a catheter study to be sure that the catheter is placed in the correct place.