Blood pressure

Good morning Dr. Agar,

I have questions on blood pressure:

1. Should patients on 6x SDD and 6x nocturnal txs have lower bps than patients doing 3x short txs since they are removing fluid almost daily?

2. Are blood pressures taken in bed in a lying down position lower than blood pressures taken in a sitting position?

3. Are blood pressures lower when asleep, and if so, should the first blood pressure taken after a nocturnal tx while the patient is still in bed, but in a sitting up position, be lower than it would be after the patient is up a little while and out of bed?

4. Because frequent SDD and frequent nocturnal patients remove fluid almost daily, should their blood pressure be in a range that is lower than when they were pre-dialysis considering they can not drink as much fluid daily as they did in pre-dialysis days?

5. Although everyone is a different case, is there a blood pressure level that would be considered too low for nocturnal patients?

6. What is the correct way to take blood pressures for dialysis patients whether taken in a chair or in a bed?

Jane

1) Should patients on 6x SDD and 6x nocturnal txs have lower bps than patients doing 3x short txs since they are removing fluid almost daily?

Patients on dialysis – of any ilk (whether SDHD, NHD, conventional HD, PD … any modality of ‘D’) – should have (or aim to have) stable, normal, dialysis-unaffected blood pressures. The issue is not whether one should have higher or lower blood pressure but that the volume status and cardiovascular health of a dialysis patient should be ideally preserved both between and during the treatment such that the dialysis treatment impacts and perturbs both (volume and cardiovascular status) as little as possible.

As more frequent therapies (and, include here PD as well) result in less fluctuations in intravascular volume status and cardiac ‘stress’, they are, both by expectation and actuality, less likely to be associated with a rising blood pressure between treatments and a falling blood pressure during treatment.

However, as I have said here before - as I have as well as in Webinars I have given - short daily dialysis has a problem!

While SDHD increases the frequency of dialysis (and that means the number of treatments in a given time … and most of us use one week as the recurring time interval by which we express dialysis frequency), it reduces the duration of the dialysis treatment (and that means the number of hours any one dialysis treatment lasts)

The common profile is that SDHD doubles (or thereabouts) the treatment frequency but halves (or thereabouts) the treatment duration.

As a result, though there is less expansion of volume, one session to the next (as treatment frequency has been doubled), there is only half the time in which to remove the fluid gained between dialysis sessions in the next treatment session (as treatment duration is halved) … so the destablising effects on blood volume and the cardiovascular system during dialysis remain much the same as they are in conventional dialysis regimes.

I think I dealt with all this in the ‘Fluid’ Webinar (available at the HDC Home Page) … so if this is still unclear, it might be sensible to replay this webinar a few ,more times.

2) Are blood pressures taken in bed in a lying down position lower than blood pressures taken in a sitting position?

Blood pressures, lying and sitting, should, in normal circumstances, be similar.

However, in states where the blood volume is reduced this may no longer hold true – eg: in volume depletion (commonly called - though wrongly so - ‘dehydration’); or where the normal blood vessel responsiveness to gravitational change is altered (as in antihypertensive drug therapy or in autonomic neuropathic states … like diabetes).

3) Are blood pressures lower when asleep, and if so, should the first blood pressure taken after a nocturnal tx while the patient is still in bed, but in a sitting up position, be lower than it would be after the patient is up a little while and out of bed?

Yes, the normal blood pressure does fall in sleep by a few points - and this is only a little - but in our NHHD patients, this is neither a significant nor a remarkable or clinically relevant difference.

4) Because frequent SDD and frequent nocturnal patients remove fluid almost daily, should their blood pressure be in a range that is lower than when they were pre-dialysis considering they can not drink as much fluid daily as they did in pre-dialysis days?

No.

We (doctors) aim to - or spend a lot of time trying to - achieve and sustain normal blood pressures. Full stop!

We do so in patients with hypertension but with no evidence for renal disease. We do so in patients with varying forms of renal disease and/or with varying stages of CKD. We do so in dialysis patients – whether (and irrespective) of HD or PD.

Normal is normal. Why would (or should) we aim for anything else? The whole point of longer, slower, more frequent dialysis is to prevent perturbations (rises and falls) in blood pressure and to keep the blood pressure stable and normal - something it rarely is in the more intermittent, lower frequency, shorter hour dialysis regimes (like conventional HD).

5) Although everyone is a different case, is there a blood pressure level that would be considered too low for nocturnal patients?

Well … yes … of course. Hypotension (a low blood pressure) can be just as much of a problem (or more so) than is a high blood pressure. As I have just said, we (doctors) try to normalize blood pressure. We try to bring high blood pressures down. If we can, we try to bring low blood pressures up – whether by adding fluid (most commonly done, in dialysis patients, by increasing dry weight) or by, in patients with poor heart function (eg: left ventricular failure), by using, sometimes, agents that help the heart pump better.

If the blood pressure is too low in NHHD, that is a concern. Of course it is. It usually means that the dry weight is too low and needs to be up-adjusted. This is the commonest cause of a blood pressure below normal.

Again, normal is normal and we aim for normal. I cannot see why we would aim for something that isn’t.

6) What is the correct way to take blood pressures for dialysis patients whether taken in a chair or in a bed?

Blood pressure is usually measured with a sphygmomanometer (a blood pressure machine) - either by a manual or an automated method - the BP cuff being applied to the upper arm with a cuff size appropriately matched to the arm circumference. This is no different to the method used to measure blood pressure in non-dialysis patients.

John Agar

Dear Dr. Agar,

More questions on low blood pressure:

1. What is considered normal bp? I know at one time it was 120/80, but subsequently wasn’t a new standard set? What is considered low bp and what is considered extremely low bp?

2. If a patient has low bp and goes up on his dry weight, how long should it take for the bp to stabilize- immediately, or should it take days or longer?

3. I know nocturnal patients have different capacities for fluid intake, but what is the minimum amount of fluid one with zero output should be able to drink in a day so as to not become dehydrated? If one on nocturnal has a toned down thirst mechanism and has trouble taking in enough fluid at a time (feels too full), or in a day, what are the possible causes and remedies?

4. If bp is too low and a nocturnal patient goes up on his dry weight, but starts to become edemic and less well feeling, what does this signify?

5. What does it mean if a nocturnal patient has low bp, but is asymptomatic?

6. Are there tests that can be taken to ascertain why a nocturnal patient has low bp if there doesn’t seem to be a way to resolve the problem?

7. When one loses output does anything change internally?

[B]Dear Jane

You are looking for numbers again! I have emphasized before that humans are individuals – not machines – and unlike machines where numbers and needs tend to be constant, this is not now or ever so in humans. What is ideal for one will not always be ideal for another. There is no one number, no one BP measurement (upper or lower limit), no one volume, no set intake that suits or is appropriate to all. In any one individual, too, values set as targets may alter, time to time and circumstance to circumstance. If we were all set to some magic ‘normal’, life would be very easy. Unfortunately, we are not.

‘Art’ plays a huge role in medicine. Science matters - enormously - but so, too, does the application of that science - to the individual - and this is the ‘art’ half (and it should be half) of the equation. The ‘art’ is knowing when the science is not always right or applicable - in and for that specific circumstance.

That said … and re-emphasised … I will try to give some answers … but in so doing, will know that in some circumstances, the numbers I now try to give you in answer to your questions will be wrong – for that individual and at that time![/B]

1) What is considered normal bp? I know at one time it was 120/80, but subsequently wasn’t a new standard set? What is considered low bp and what is considered extremely low bp?

[B]Current recommendations for a target BP as recommended by most International Heart Associations and International Kidney Disease Guideline documents are listed below (copied to here from a standard BP reference document).

A) For people with typical diastolic hypertension who are not at high risk, the traditional goal of reducing the blood pressure to less than 140/90 appears adequate.

B) For elderly people with isolated systolic hypertension, caution should be taken to avoid reducing the diastolic pressure to less than 65 - 70. Less than optimal lowering of the systolic pressure should be accepted in order to avoid reducing the diastolic pressure too far.

C) For certain “high-risk” patients with diastolic hypertension, more aggressive therapy to reduce the diastolic pressure to 80 or less should be considered. These include:
• Those with diabetes. Reducing the blood pressure to 130/80 or less reduces the risk of cardiac disease.
• Those with renal insufficiency (kidney disease.) Reducing the blood pressure to 125/75 or less appears to slow the progression of kidney disease.
• Black patients. For reasons not well understood, African American patients continue to have high risk for hypertensive complications unless their diastolic blood pressure is reduced to below 85.

Targets for dialysis patients are no different. It should be noted that these are targets and that, in individuals, these may need to be varied depending upon their individual circumstance and their clinical situation.[/B]

2) If a patient has low bp and goes up on his dry weight, how long should it take for the bp to stabilize- immediately, or should it take days or longer?

BP should usually respond quite promptly, within a single inter-treatment time span.

3) I know nocturnal patients have different capacities for fluid intake, but what is the minimum amount of fluid one with zero output should be able to drink in a day so as to not become dehydrated? If one on nocturnal has a toned down thirst mechanism and has trouble taking in enough fluid at a time (feels too full), or in a day, what are the possible causes and remedies?

[B]Non-renal, non-dialytic fluid losses will vary according to circumstance. For example: hotter climates, sweating, fever, illness associated with vomiting or diarrhoea and respiratory illness etc will increase unmeasured (or ‘insensible’) losses. In addition, fluid requirements will differ in from male to female, body size to body size, weight to weight, exercise to non-exercise, winter to summer … and may be impacted by clinical factors like (but not restricted to) diabetes and sugar control, medication and other contributors. It would be misleading to be drawn into a set ‘statement’ on exact volumes to drink or not to drink … and I cannot (will not) not make one as I will mislead as much as inform.

That said, in normal 16-23 degree mean daytime temperature zones (a temperate climate) without major wind-added convective losses and in a normal afebrile adult, insensible losses are likely around 500ml/day. In addition, the body requires fluid … 250-500 ml/day … so that most will need 750-1000 ml/day to remain in balance. But this is such a variable number that, again, the appropriate amount of fluid to take in, daily, must be discussed with the individual patient, as it suits and is appropriate for that individual.[/B]

4) If bp is too low and a nocturnal patient goes up on his dry weight, but starts to become edemic and less well feeling, what does this signify?

Remember that a low BP is not always just volume and fluid-related. The heart drives our BP. The kidneys may control it but the heart makes it. Is there heart disease, a poor cardiac output, problems with leaky or narrowed heart valves – especially with the aortic valve … or a myriad other contributors beyond volume. Yes, volume is important in dialysis patients and the commonest and most obvious place to look for problems – but volume and dry weight is not the only cue in the rack! Moreover, is there coexisting diabetic autonomic neuropathy which is causing the BP to fall when the patient stands up. Here is an example of where a lying BP may need to be a little higher than ideal to prevent too low an erect BP. Again, as I have said before, we are individuals – and rules made to fit the herd may not apply.

5) What does it mean if a nocturnal patient has low bp, but is asymptomatic?

It may mean a poor heart (in one of many ways – output, valvular disease etc. (as above). It may mean the dry weight needs to be adjusted. It may be medication related – yet that medication may still be indicated and important … despite the number. Or … It may mean nothing of great significance.

6) Are there tests that can be taken to ascertain why a nocturnal patient has low bp if there doesn’t seem to be a way to resolve the problem?

Yes … from what I have said, an echocardiogram and other cardiac tests might be indicated. An assessment of the function of adrenal gland function may be useful as Addisons’ disease (an under-active adrenal gland with low mineralocorticoid hormone production) is almost certainly under-diagnosed and under-recognized in renal failure where ALL tends to be ascribed to volume – and little else.

7) When one loses output does anything change internally?

[B]Here, I am assuming you mean urinary output. Jane, I have done this for you before, I think – or someone else just recently. I have discussed the loss of residual renal function and the effects this loss can have on fluid intake freedom, the tendency to circulatory overload and the risks that entails for the heart and circulation.

As time passes, residual renal substance scars and shrinks such that all that is left are two small nubbins of non-functioning, largely fibrous renal tissue. Sludging and stasis (sluggish and lessening urine flow) leads to accretions – secretions and deposits of … ‘goo’ … will do – in what remains of the renal tubular structures. This causes tubular blockages and, then, cyst formation behind these as the urine flow and pressure is now inadequate to ‘flush out’ the ‘goo’ causing these blockages. Cysts form and largely further replace any remaining renal tissue. And, so, the kidneys reach the end of their road as rather ‘grotty’-looking blobs of unrecognizable tissue with now no remaining useful function.

I surmise that is what you meant by the question.[/B]