Buttonhole

Howdy, I have a couple of questions for those using the buttonhole technique. How many sticks in the same place with sharps did you do before using blunts? Did you use an anesthetic for the first few times using blunts? Anyone wish to share any tips? Thank you. Pabblo. Logan, Utah

I was expecting to do about 8-10 with the sharps, but as it turned out it didn’t take that many. I was surprised at how easy it was. Think we went about 6 times and tried it with the buttonholes and they went right in. Although I always used lidocaine cream when I had used sharps in-center, I did not use any for the buttonholes as I had heard they don’t hurt. I continued not to use any for about 6 months, but then one day I started experiencing some nerve pain again, so I started using the lidocaine again.

The nerve pain is not serious, but I find the lidocaine is very helpful for it so why not use it. Even with buttonholes it is possible to have a little pain, but it is not something that is intensely painful- just a little nerve pain that is not fun but one can handle it. Once the needles are in, there is no more pain- it’s hitting a nerve when the needles go in that causes some pain.

Scar tissue builds up and changes the tunnel- that’s why it’s possible to run into a nerve. Once in awhile I re-stick with sharps for just one tx to open up the tunnel and the nerve problem goes away until more scar tissue builds up again. So, I wouldn’t say that buttonholes are completely painless, but it’s a bearable kind of pain and much less painful then sticking with sharp needles. Wish I had been able to use the buttonhole method from the very beginning.

Hi Folks

My buttonholes started fast. I started using my buttons 5 days a wk on nxstage with sharps By day 8 we went to blunts. Over the next month to 6 wks. I would have from time to time reuse the sharps. This all started in (04/08/07), so by mid June of 07 I was using blunts and have since, and I also use lidocaine/prilocaine cream2.5%.

Hope that help some, Good Luck
Bob OBrien

Hi Pabblo

Same as Jane, started with blunts after about 6 goes with sharps. Slipped in like butter! No anaesthetic needed (we don’t use cream here, just nasty sharp little needles which seem to hurt more than the big suckers!)

Like the others, I occasionally have to use a sharp cannula when things feel like they are going awry, but I hate them. Because the anaesthetic needle is a pest I don’t use any when resestablishing the buttonhole with a sharp.

Cheers and good luck.

Howdy Pablo,

3 sticks only with No anesthetic…

I have had a different experience from most of the others.

I used sharps for about 5 days before switching to blunts. But I’ve almost always injected Xylocaine (2% lignocaine I think). About half an ml in each place.

I find the pain to be quite bad sometimes without this even with blunts. But I think the reason for this is my fistula is quite different from many others’.

Another strange thing is that I need to use Xylocaine for a few weeks and then for a few weeks I have little or no pain and so I stop using it. But then slowly the pain starts increasing and I have to start using it.

I’m pretty sure my experience is NOT that of most others. But just thought I’d share my experience.

Kamal
Daily nocturnal home hemo since June 2006

[quote=kamalshah20;15786]I have had a different experience from most of the others.

I used sharps for about 5 days before switching to blunts. But I’ve almost always injected Xylocaine (2% lignocaine I think). About half an ml in each place.

I find the pain to be quite bad sometimes without this even with blunts. But I think the reason for this is my fistula is quite different from many others’.

Another strange thing is that I need to use Xylocaine for a few weeks and then for a few weeks I have little or no pain and so I stop using it. But then slowly the pain starts increasing and I have to start using it.

I’m pretty sure my experience is NOT that of most others. But just thought I’d share my experience.

Kamal
Daily nocturnal home hemo since June 2006[/quote]

I would have to agree with you on this, I think it depends on how long you’ve had your fistula. For example. I’ve had mine quite long 10+ years and throughout those years I’ve used Ladder technique in-center which in turn lessened the pain and reduced some surface tissue on my fistula so no more Lidocaine for numbing. I also have a bit of an anuerysm on the fistula and of course short! Niether of those problems has caused me not to use buttonhole successfully. Its all working beautifully.

Hi Pabblo,

Similar experience to the other posters here… close to 10 treatments with a sharp - then over to the dulls/blunts. Occasionally, I still need to use a sharp (18 months later), most often after a longer stretch, or if I am feeling unwell due to a cold, or being unusually fatigued. I did not use any anesthetics, but many of my ‘dialysis’ buddies did initially.

Good luck!

Kidney Mom in Canada

I only had to use sharps for 7 treatments, then the buttonholes were established. I did use topical lidocane (emla) and it helped when I was using the sharps. With the blunt needles I don’t need anything and I’ve used the same two sites for over a year now. It’s going great.

Norma