Caring for toddler

I am scheduled for a pd cath next week, I have been on hemo for two weeks. I have a 17 month old toddler will I be able to lift him after several weeks?

Hi Unregistered. I’m glad that you are planning on doing PD when your little one is so young–parenting is easier when you do dialysis at home. As far as lifting, good question. Our topic of the month article about what to expect when you get a PD catheter (http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/rotating/0806topicofthemonth.shtml) does not address lifting. We’ll see what we can find out from our PD experts–and you should ask your PD nurse what kind of lifting restriction you have and for how long.

In the meantime, though, we do know that things that increase pressure inside the abdomen (coughing, straining to have a bowel movement due to constipation…) can lead to hernias. So, I suspect that when you lift your son, it will be important to keep him on your hip, rather than holding his weight against your belly, at least when you have fluid in. You probably do this anyway because it’s easier and he’s getting heavier.

When I first went on PD - my doc said no lifting for two weeks while I healed; after that I had a 30 pound restriction - so I was able to play & care for my grandson without problems…

Thank You for your replies you relieved some of my anxity