Dental

Is everyone all caught up with their dental work? It is easy to let things go conentrating so hard on having succesful home txs.

Having one wisdom tooth beeing taken out this week… :cry:

Already had one taken out several years ago…one at t time please… :wink:

Do you think it is best for kidney patients to get wisdom teeth out by being put asleep or by novicaine shots? The drugs to put asleep might be rough recovering from?

Some ppl recomend getting all 4 wisdom teeth out at the same time as one can not eat solid foods for a number of days so why go through that 4 times.

Gus wrote:

highly recommend that patients on dialysis DO NOT have all wisdom teeth pulled out at once…only one at a time. Especially, only the teeth that bother you…

We were told wisdom teeth should come out in top/bottom pairs as without a supporting tooth, the teeth will shift. Were you ever told this Gus?

Gus wrote:

If you have all pulled out you will have hard time keeping nurtition balanced while on dialysis. The other problem is bleeding…try to keep in the safe zone and do one by one.

Why?.. how is it any different having 1 tooth out vs a pair or 4 at once as far as nutrition is concerned? One must still eat soft foods for several days. What happens if there is somewhat more bleeding?

Gus wrote:

In my case, I will not be put to sleep, will be awake and they will just put local anesthetic…

BE AWARE, patients with fistulas…AVOID SHOTS in the facial area as the medicine will travel into your blood stream quickly causing you to pass out or even death…

What do you mean by local anesthetic? Is this not the shots one gets in gums to numb area like when regular dental work is done?

Thank you for sharing…we did not get any of this info from neph or oral surgeon.

Gus wrote:[quote]ALL 4 SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT, ONLY ON IMPACTION…ONE BY ONE 2-3 WEEKS APART…

WHEN THERE’S NO IMPACTION ONLY THE ONES IMPACTED SHOULD BE REMOVED [/quote

Is this what your neph, dentist and /or oral surgeon advised? We have spoken with our nephs, several dentists and several oral surgeons as we went for exams several times. Is this just a money making thing since they all say wisdom teeth should come out as ppl can’t brush as well in the very back and will eventually have problems? And they also all told us to get at leaste two teeth, top and bottom, out at a time so the teeth won’t shift.

We have also spoken with other patients who got their wisdom teeth out, both through being put asleep and through local and all went well with both methods. We just thought we would get a few more opinions so we would fully know the risks.

[quote=“Heather”]Gus wrote:

ALL 4 SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT, ONLY ON IMPACTION…ONE BY ONE 2-3 WEEKS APART…

WHEN THERE’S NO IMPACTION ONLY THE ONES IMPACTED SHOULD BE REMOVED [/quote

Is this what your neph, dentist and /or oral surgeon advised?

My dental surgeon and dentist are beeing honest to me as a dialysis patient…they educate me, show me xrays and explain which wisdom teeth are impacted and which ones are heading towards impaction…and he only suggests the removal of wisdom teeth that are already impacted and wait 2-3 weeks to remove any other teeth heading towards iompaction…

We have spoken with our nephs, several dentists and several oral surgeons as we went for exams several times. Is this just a money making thing since they all say wisdom teeth should come out as ppl can’t brush as well in the very back and will eventually have problems?

Its up to you, all dentists are different…depends are your situation…get involved and communicate with your dentist and ask questions or point out previous problems you’ve had with dental work

And they also all told us to get at leaste two teeth, top and bottom, out at a time so the teeth won’t shift.

We have also spoken with other patients who got their wisdom teeth out, both through being put asleep and through local and all went well with both methods. We just thought we would get a few more opinions so we would fully know the risks.

In my case as a long term dialysis patient its the best choice, its up to you to decide.

Just had a tooth extracted today, boy oh boy…its hurting!!! alot of bleeding…decided to take the day odd dialysis… :cry:

Gus, you poor old thing! Hope you manage to get some sleep and wake up feeling better in the morning! :shock:

Well, it’s morning now and I do feel a bit better than yesterday’s ordeal…

But just think about…Doctor’s order if not consuming edible food for 3 days!..my TUMS, oh no! …ar least I have NovaSource renal nutriotnal drinks… :stuck_out_tongue:

Gus your powers of suggestion are just too much, guess who has to have a tooth pulled today? Yep, me, thanks alot (just kidding). Hope it isn’t too bad as I am supposed to take two 11 year olds away for 4 days starting on Sunday!!

Cathy

Hahaha, you funny… :lol:

Well, don’t tell him its bad you’ll just make him even more nervous!..if their wisdom teeth they really hurt when taken out…it really depends, everyone is different…some people’s teeth are easy and quick to take out than others…:wink:

I think he’ll do great, he’s one tuff little man there! He even watches over you while you dialyze!

Gus, it’s ME that has to have to tooth pulled, I want some sympathy!! My kid just wants me to be well enough so he and his friend can have lots of fun in Santa Cruz if the weather allows it!!

Cathy

Ah my gawd, am a retard I guess…sorry about that Cathy…sometimes I just can be a goof… :oops:

Cathy, if you can put your own needles in and do home dialysis you can also deal with the dentist…but I know, seeing the dentist is something no one wants!

Maybe your experience will be better than mine…don’t be nervous. If you want one pulled out at a time tell him! Tell him ow you feel.

Tell him that you dialyze 6x a week and want to be on the safe zone…you don’t want to end up bleeding alot.

its up to you, one tooth now and the other several weeks ahead…depending on the severity…

lso remember not to rinse your mouth for at least a day or 2 till it stops bleeding…

Good luck, your one great fighter! Don’t forget to take a good rest after its done…

Good luck Cathy!

Ahhh, much better Gus. Good news is I only need the one tooth pulled, I broke it and they just don’t think there is enough left for a crown so they suggest pulling it and replacing it with a permanent bridge (or something).
Had my wisdom teeth out years and years ago in one fell swoop. Hopefully I won’t bleed a lot as I’d like to do dialysis tonight, but if I can’t I can’t.

Cathy

Gus wrote:

AROUND THE SURFACE WHERE THE TOOTH IS…THEY HAVE SOME NEW MEDICINE THAT DOES THE JOB NICELY WITHOUT SHOTS…

Gus did you get this new medicine when you had your tooth extracted…do you know the name of it? Did you feel any pain other than the tugging when they pulled your tooth out?

Gus wrote:

BE AWARE, patients with fistulas…AVOID SHOTS in the facial area as the medicine will travel into your blood stream quickly causing you to pass out or even death…

We never heard of this before. None of the dentists, oral surgeons or nephs we spoke to said a thing about this. Has anyone else ever heard this???

Am saying it cuz it already happened to me 3 times! Dentists don’t know this…probably its even something they never studied about dialysis patients…

The safest way to get it done is in the same area where the dental work is to be done…

All you have to do is tell your dentist that you have a fistula and its possible that the numbing medicine may get into your large veins…

Just let the dentist know that, just in case it happens all of you will be aware of that…

Once that happens, you should feel the stream of numbing medicine going through your veins and the rest of your body then you’ll start passing out slowly…heart starts beating slower… :roll:

Gus wrote:

Am saying it cuz it already happened to me 3 times! Dentists don’t know this…probably its even something they never studied about dialysis patients…

I can understand dentists not being familar with the special needs of dialysis patients, but shouldn’t nephs know this and guide patients when they have dental work?