Determining weight gain

I am on daily nocturnal. I usually have just had dinner before I get on to a treatment. This causes my weight to show up usually higher than the amount of fluid I’ve put on.

How do I determine what my weight gain is?

For example, my estimate of my dry weight is around 78.5 kgs currently. Just after I’ve had dinner, my weight might show up as 82 kgs. So, in effect the weight gain is 3.5 kgs. But since I’ve just had dinner, 0.5 to 1 kg of that is not fluid.

If I pull off too much, it is a major problem. On the other hand, I don’t want to pull off too little.

Is there any easy way to determine this? Any guidelines you follow?

Thanks
Kamal

When I do a tx, I stay alert, especially towards the last hr, and listen carefully for bodily signals that tell me I am going dry. I also check blood pressures more often if I feel I am going dry. Other than that, I don’t know of any other method except to use a Critline machine. If I know I am going dry, I cut the UF off at that point. I also eat right before tx, so know part of the gain could be real weight. And sometimes there is actual weight gain and that is confusing at first until one sees a pattern over a few txs. Then of course, it’s time to adjust the dry weight up.

Because I will be starting nocturnal txs soon, it has concerned me that I will not be alert the last hr and that could put me in a bad position as far as getting crampy and not knowing it. So, one day I figured out that I might set my alarm clock to go off 60 min prior to the end of the tx so I can be alert should I experience crampiness. My caregiver will also do that, as either of us could lack alertness when it is time to get off.

I’ve read numerous times where ppl on nocturnal say cramping is rare as the blood flow rate is so slow, But then I’ve also read where others say you can still cramp on nocturnal just like on regular txs. So, I’ve long wondered how ppl handle this. That’s why I’m setting the alarm to get me up ahead of time until I know how this works.

Kamal, how are you putting on 2.5 kg of fluid during dinner? If you’re going to be on the cruise with us, you’re going to have to drink less. Maybe Bill or I will have to rap you with a ruler if you start drinking too much.

I’ve had a rule since I started SDD to not take off more than 2L. Now that I’m nocturnal and could draw more, I’ve still held to the old rule, with a few exceptions. The way I figure it Dry Weight becomes less meaningful because we dialyze so often and I have more days to get to my target. However, I don’t really go by DW anymore as long as I’m taking off a reasonable amount and don’t get too out of kilter.

But you’ve got to move to a cooler climate. Maybe you wouldn’t drink so much – maybe Chicago. Or maybe it’s that greasy Indian cooking!

Hi Folks

what type of meals do you eat? I was told that meats, starches, count as real wright. Veggies, salads, fruits count as water wright. Did you eat while on daytime dialysis? And if you did how did you put that into your tx plan. But like Rich is saying once you get into nocturnal taking kilos off will not be as big a deal. Time is the key.

thanks
Bob O’Brien

[QUOTE=Rich Berkowitz;17264]Kamal, how are you putting on 2.5 kg of fluid during dinner? If you’re going to be on the cruise with us, you’re going to have to drink less. Maybe Bill or I will have to rap you with a ruler if you start drinking too much.

I’ve had a rule since I started SDD to not take off more than 2L. Now that I’m nocturnal and could draw more, I’ve still held to the old rule, with a few exceptions. The way I figure it Dry Weight becomes less meaningful because we dialyze so often and I have more days to get to my target. However, I don’t really go by DW anymore as long as I’m taking off a reasonable amount and don’t get too out of kilter.

But you’ve got to move to a cooler climate. Maybe you wouldn’t drink so much – maybe Chicago. Or maybe it’s that greasy Indian cooking![/QUOTE]
Noooo, not 2.5 kg during dinner! I put on 2.5 kgs during the whole day. But the weight gain shows up as 3 or 3.5 kg or so because I’ve just had dinner. This is temporary. After every meal, I was told, the weight will show up as more than the ‘actual’ weight. After a couple of hours or so, the weight goes back to its regular weight.

I don’t know how far this is true!

Thanks
Kamal

[QUOTE=bobeleanor;17267]Hi Folks

what type of meals do you eat? I was told that meats, starches, count as real wright. Veggies, salads, fruits count as water wright. Did you eat while on daytime dialysis? And if you did how did you put that into your tx plan. But like Rich is saying once you get into nocturnal taking kilos off will not be as big a deal. Time is the key.

thanks
Bob O’Brien[/QUOTE]
I eat vegetarian food. What I do is remove about 0.5 to 1 kg from my weight gain and set that as the UF. Sometimes, however I find that that is too much, sometimes too less!

Thanks
Kamal

[QUOTE=Jane;17263]When I do a tx, I stay alert, especially towards the last hr, and listen carefully for bodily signals that tell me I am going dry. I also check blood pressures more often if I feel I am going dry. Other than that, I don’t know of any other method except to use a Critline machine. If I know I am going dry, I cut the UF off at that point. I also eat right before tx, so know part of the gain could be real weight. And sometimes there is actual weight gain and that is confusing at first until one sees a pattern over a few txs. Then of course, it’s time to adjust the dry weight up.

Because I will be starting nocturnal txs soon, it has concerned me that I will not be alert the last hr and that could put me in a bad position as far as getting crampy and not knowing it. So, one day I figured out that I might set my alarm clock to go off 60 min prior to the end of the tx so I can be alert should I experience crampiness. My caregiver will also do that, as either of us could lack alertness when it is time to get off.

I’ve read numerous times where ppl on nocturnal say cramping is rare as the blood flow rate is so slow, But then I’ve also read where others say you can still cramp on nocturnal just like on regular txs. So, I’ve long wondered how ppl handle this. That’s why I’m setting the alarm to get me up ahead of time until I know how this works.[/QUOTE]
Staying up for the last 60 minutes is very difficult. Once I get up, I would like the treatment to end asap. I find it very difficult to just lie in bed waiting for treatment to finish!

Thanks
Kamal

Well Rich, Indian cooking does have a bad reputation but believe me, its not all that bad. There are numerous options which are zero grease! Take Idlis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idli) for example!

Thanks
Kamal