Dialysis on holidays?

The Aussie public health system has the advantage of equality and availability for all and home dialysis training for those that want it where and when possible but… Trying to book into another Unit in Australia for some holiday dialysis even for a few days seems to be increasingly difficult. The Public Hospitals in most regional and metropolitan centres are sretched to the limit with staff not being able to offer any spare beds to “outsiders” due to financial constraints, staff shortages and the blow out in patients needing dialysis.

I am wondering whether this problem is the same in the States where there is more privately run clinics after business or other countries with a Public health system.

My concern in Australia and I have written lots of letters to various politicians etc is what happens to home patients if there is some sort of pandemic or a crisis like New Orleans here? Where do all the home patients go? My second concern is, where and when can we go for a holiday or some respite when we need it? In the States, are there places you can dialyse and stay (like rental homes) that I have heard about in other countries?

Hmmm. I was listening (again :slight_smile: ) to a guy at the unit complaining about how he was pissed off that a week’s dx in Canberra, organised by the unit 12 months in advance, had been cancelled, without notice. He only knew about it because he’d rung the unit down there to confirm the sessions & check which times they wanted him for !! :roll: He asked them when were they going to tell him -when he got there?? “yes” !! :shock:
Does this sorta thing mean we may have to consider private facilites, like the Noosa one, if we want to get away, Beachy?? :?
:frowning:

Its the same over here, the clinics are quite full, and at the same time they won’t accept any patients just like that. They request lab work, special tests like TB and so on…its not easy…

Bear, It is rather difficult to even find those private clinics with a bed available (unless it is just me) Let me know if you can find any other than the Noosa one or John Flynn on the Gold Coast that does a great business with Japanese Dialysis patients. I think there is one in Sydney, but I don’t want to go there! I just feel the public system should always have a few spare beds for the home patients and emergencies etc. Fancy booking a year ahead to then find out there is no bed! How rude!

Gus, it looks like the only answer for us Aussies is going to be a portable system like Nxstage. Bring it on! Although, wouldn’t you ever like to go away somewhere in your own country and let someone else set up your dialysis for you just for a break?

I really think portables will change all that for us. Just cross your fingers and pray to GOD that more companies will bring out their small wonder machines. …it would really streamline our lives.

Go away for a brekky just to let someone else set up for me, somewhere where boldy no man has gone before(Star Trek theme plays)? No way, I am in charge of my life. I’d rather take a portable with me and do it on my own times and chosen places.

Our in centre unit seems pretty empty for the night time run. Every time I have gone there to go on at 5pm, theres a few empty machines.

Beachy, there is a fresenius private unit up here somewhere. I think its in Chermside.

Thanks Amba
I know there is a few. But getting dialysis between here and Sydney or other places I have enquired at to go for a break only have Public Clinics and I have been told that there are no beds likely to come available within the next year. If there is a bed empty, it is because the Public Hospitals can’t afford to pay for the extra nursing staff or can’t find qualified staff(particularly at night). John Hunter in Newcastle has a big centre and satellite centres and I got the same response there. have even been onto Current Affair programs about the problem in NSW, particulary.

Theres a new public one opened up at Tweed Heads. Have you tried there?

I live just South of Tweed and while I am sure they would make an effort to fit me in because I am local that would be my last choice for a holiday! :lol:
If I needed respite locally, I would go to Ballina where I trained and they could squeeze me in a cupboard somewhere. But my point was, what if we all needed respite at once??
As for going to another centre in Australia, I know for sure that it is getting increasingly difficult to book in for a holiday. They just aren’t taking non locals in too many centers any more. We have a blow out in the number of people requiring dialysis and they just aren’t finding beds and nurses fast enough. :cry: Thanks for your concern,amba.

Beachy, I didnt realise you were close to Tweed. Where abouts are you if dont mind me asking? I didnt know there was a home training at Ballina. I like Ballina its a nice little spot, and good fish n chips!

Pottsville Beach. Where are you exactly? 8)

Ohh I like pottsville, used to spend alot of time there when I was younger. Im in Brisbane, but originally from near mur-bah. Last lived in Lismore for about 5 years. As much as a hole it is, I miss it!

Not related to the US, but IS related to travel on haemo.

But in the EU covered area, (which includes Australia)
Dialysis between countries is reciprocal. For instance, I can dialyse in France, Germany or the panish islands.
I recently dialysed on holiday at a unit on the Island of Menorca. I didn’t have to pay for treatment as a British Citizen, but the holiday was paid for as a normal holiday…
It’s becomeing easier to go on holiday than to travel & dialyse in the UK itelf, where I live. The haemodialysis situation is critical.

Yes…well that’s what we were complaining about - we can go to Phukhet or somewhere (& pay for dx) easier than we can go for a week or a few days within our own country!! I’m hoping it won;t be toooo hard to book in to Heath Hosp. when I eventually get to visit my old dad in Cardiff, but there are no guarantees!! :?

[quote=beachy;7321]The Aussie public health system has the advantage of equality and availability for all and home dialysis training for those that want it where and when possible but… Trying to book into another Unit in Australia for some holiday dialysis even for a few days seems to be increasingly difficult. The Public Hospitals in most regional and metropolitan centres are sretched to the limit with staff not being able to offer any spare beds to “outsiders” due to financial constraints, staff shortages and the blow out in patients needing dialysis.

I am wondering whether this problem is the same in the States where there is more privately run clinics after business or other countries with a Public health system.

My concern in Australia and I have written lots of letters to various politicians etc is what happens to home patients if there is some sort of pandemic or a crisis like New Orleans here? Where do all the home patients go? My second concern is, where and when can we go for a holiday or some respite when we need it? In the States, are there places you can dialyse and stay (like rental homes) that I have heard about in other countries?[/quote]

Beachy I just saw this http://www.ramsayhealth.com.au/cph/news/media_New_Dialysis_Unit.asp

New Dialysis Unit- a fast-track for private patients awaiting dialysis treatment & A destination for holiday-makers on dialysis

26 September 2006[I]
        The newly opened dialysis unit at Cairns Private Hospital is providing             immediate access for private patients awaiting dialysis treatment.  [/I]
       The private unit’s four renal dialysis chairs combined with             the hospital’s existing eight public chairs takes capacity             from 32 to 48 patients per week.
       CEO Richard Lizzio said until now private patients in need of dialysis             treatment joined public patients on a priority list. Sorry don’t             want to say anything about waiting times as it might be picked up             as a negative by the press and we can’ the seen to be critical             of the public hospital.

He said private patients will be given priority in this new unit.               However, excess capacity stemming from these new chairs would be               offered to public patients and private patients from elsewhere               seeking a tropical getaway.
       “Already we’ve had patients visiting Cairns for the             first time. Just last week, we cared for a man who was on his first             holiday in years…his first holiday since undergoing Renal Replacement             Therapy.”
       “ The opening of these four private renal dialysis chairs             is only the first step towards building a comprehensive renal service             for Cairns. We also believe the availability of a private renal unit             in Cairns will help to attract a second renal physician which would             be an excellent outcome for Cairns and Far North Queensland.”
        “End-stage renal failure is a cruel disease in that it can             drastically restrict a patient’s lifestyle, because in order             to stay well they have to be hooked up to a blood cleaning machine             for 4-7 hours three times a week. It makes travel a little daunting             for many patients,” Mr Lizzio said.
       From Cairns Private, Michael Posselt, a businessman from the Gold             Coast said of his first trip to Cairns, “If it wasn’t             for the unit, I wouldn’t be on holidays.”
       “This unit is supplying a great service in an area of health             where there is an immense shortage.”
       Mr Posselt is on a waiting list for a kidney transplant and has             been on dialysis for a year. “If I go without dialysing for             three days I’d be very unwell. On the Gold Coast I do home             dialysis. I get home from work, jump onto my machine and use the             time to catch up on paper/ computer work. At home I have two, seven             hour sessions and one, five hour session each week. On holidays I’m             having three, five hour sessions.”
       It is a little known fact that Renal Disease has the second highest             incidence of chronic disease, behind cancer. The latest models issued             by the Kidney Foundation predict a growth in new cases of between             19-47% by 2010.

Beachy would you be able to use this facility and get reimbursed? I don’t understand the Australian visitor policy in regard to the private/public units like Noosa and now Cairns. I, for one, am very happy that I can now return to Cairns.

Hi Bill

Yes, I am already considering booking a trip next year, although not until after the cyclone/wet season, so probably won’t be til may June. I have private health cover so they will bill my provider, but even if I didn’t, as I understand it our Medicare that everybody here has would cover it, it just might be a bit more difficult to book in. I presume they charge more for private patients though.
Do let us know when you are planning another trip so you can come for a visit. Seriously, it would be a pleasure to have you stay (and share Freni?) and we could show you the beautiful Tweed/Byron bay area. Snorkelling not as spectacular as great Barrier reef, but the surf is heaps better (;

Cheers

[QUOTE=beachy;11333]Hi Bill

Yes, I am already considering booking a trip next year, although not until after the cyclone/wet season, so probably won’t be til may June. I have private health cover so they will bill my provider, but even if I didn’t, as I understand it our Medicare that everybody here has would cover it, it just might be a bit more difficult to book in. I presume they charge more for private patients though.
Do let us know when you are planning another trip so you can come for a visit. Seriously, it would be a pleasure to have you stay (and share Freni?) and we could show you the beautiful Tweed/Byron bay area. Snorkelling not as spectacular as great Barrier reef, but the surf is heaps better (;

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Hi Beachy,
there is the toukley holiday house. :slight_smile: I know it isn’t what your talking about in general on what we home patients would do if we all needed to be somewhere to dialyse at once, but it is great for a holiday. :slight_smile:
cheers Queenie.
cheers Queenie,

Hi Queenie

I did ask inquire about the Toukley place as I know you had a lovely holiday there but it appears you need to be connected to a Sydney or Central coat unit to get a technician and a machine. My Tech at Ballina would have to somehow get a machine down from the north Coast for me to use and be close by if I have problems. So have to give that a miss unless they change their policy.

However on a happier note have booked into to the new dialysis unit that Bill mentioned in Cairns in May. Yay!!

hi my i am taking my brother to the gold coast at easter to visit our dad and younger brother and sisters he currently has dialysis at home wich my mother does but i was wandering if there was any place on the gold coast that we can go and do it for just one day so that we wouldnt have to rush home so quickly.Any help would be apreciated
thanks danny