Did your clinic provide a chair for home HD?

Hi y’all,

Beth and I are trying to get a sense for practices around the country. When you went home for HD, did your clinic provide a chair for you? If so, was it a new chair (i.e., did the company let you choose the color and then deliver it and set it up in your room), or a used one from the clinic?

Yes, a nice leather La-Z-Boy.

Oops, should have asked folks to say which company their clinic is with. I know yours is WellBound. Others, please include this info.

Actually, I started at the hospital and not Wellbound. I provided the social worker with all of the information needed to show a chair should be included.

I’m on my second one provided by the Northwest Kidney Centers. They brought it over. Both have been used vinyl chairs that had been used incenter. When the first one broke they offered a new chair but I like the old style better and they found one for me.

They come in different colors? :slight_smile:
I have a blanket over mine. And a double layer of memory foam.

I had a recliner so I never requested it, I was told they would provide me one if I needed it. I go to an independent in Arlington, TX - Ameritech Kidney Center. Recently I was able to get DARS (Department of Rehabilitation Services) to provide me with a nocturnal recliner with heat and massage - Beth saw it in Kansas City when SHE came and visited me on my road trip :)!

Interesting, Harvey, since the Medicare regs specifically say they cover a “basic recliner that does not rock, swivel, vibrate or heat,” (http://www.homedialysis.org/pros/medicarefaq/#lnk11). Dialyzors can pay extra to get these features. Did you have to pay anything?

Yes, Bill, the chairs actually come in blue, red, grey, green, kind of a tan, and cranberry–at least from Champion, which makes most of them. http://www.championchair.com/?t=special&productcatid=12. I just found that out last week!

I paid for the heat and massage about $800, not sure it’s worth it, the massage is nice but the heat can be a little too hot if I forget about it. The heat’s nice when you first sit in the chair. Mine’s a WINCO out of Ocala, FL and it has what they call Liquid Cell padding that really is comfortable.

Ouch! Must be some chair! :slight_smile:

I’ve got a dark blue ‘Parker Knoll’ recliner that was filched (well delivered by) the hospital. They tried to replace it, but found they couldn’t get the new chair through the door! (Hosp is Barts & The London, UK)

If you ever in London, come and see me:)

I’ve got a dark blue ‘Parker Knoll’ recliner that was filched (well delivered by) the hospital. They tried to replace it, but found they couldn’t get the new chair through the door! (Hosp is Barts & The London, UK)

If you ever in London, come and see me:)