Does nocturnal dialysis remove interferon from blood?

These programs exist, well in my area…what they do is try to find you a kidney with the same genotype. You might want to ask your Dr. about that…

I’ve been having a cough and breathlessness for the last week and a half. I was asked to do an ECG and an Echocardiogram. The results showed Left Ventricular Dysfunction (Ejection Fraction of 40%). My nephrologist feels the main reason is the aneamia due to the interferon treatment I’m receiving to treat my HCV infection. (Hemoglobin - 8.0). This, inspite of taking a weekly shot of neupogen and 14,000 units of Procrit every week.

My nephrologist has advised me to see a cardiologist and also seriously consider stopping Interferon treatment. He says it is not likely to work for me at this point (I’ve completed 19 doses - viral load not dropping by 2 logs).

Is aneamia a cause for the Left Ventricular dysfunction? Could there be other causes?

Anemia can cause left ventricular dysfunction. If your hemoglobin is 8, you are very anemic. The target hemoglobin for someone with kidney disease/kidney failure is 11-12%. You may need a higher dose of Procrit or you may need to take it more often. If your hemoglobin was higher and has dropped recently, have you lost more blood during or after dialysis? Have you had a test for blood in your stool? I suspect you would feel a lot better if your anemia can be better treated.

Thanks Beth!

My Hemoglobin before starting Interferon therapy was 14.1. It has fallen only after I started the interferon therapy. That is the reason my neph feels it would be better to stop the interferon therapy especially since it is not bringing down the Hep C viral infection.

Kamal

[quote=kamalshah20;12672]Thanks Beth!

My Hemoglobin before starting Interferon therapy was 14.1. It has fallen only after I started the interferon therapy. That is the reason my neph feels it would be better to stop the interferon therapy especially since it is not bringing down the Hep C viral infection.

Kamal[/quote]

I really gotta tell you that Inteferon therapy on dialysis patients is very risky, its a very powerful drug that comes with a host of side-affects. Alot of people today have HepC without knowing it. Its a disease that is very slow and in most cases stale…it just sits there dormant…people tend to still live many years with it…

Yes Gus. I guess the way to go now is to stop treatment.

HI Kamal,
my husband was anemic also with taking the interferon. He was taking 30,000 units of EPO a week. ( 10,000 units X 3 Times) His neutrophils were very very low.
The treatment didn’t work in the end because he was genotype 1b, ( hard to get rid of).

I wish you luck. I hope that all is ok.
cheers Queenie.

I stopped treatment with Pegintron for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, I switched to Pegasys - another type of interferon for my Hepatitis C treatment. Side effects were much less than Pegintron.

Viral load dropped from 315,000 to 12,400 - more than a 1 log drop in 4 weeks which is what they say gives a good chance for a Sustained Virological Response.

I am so thrilled. Looks like I will eventually be able to get rid of the HCV.

That’s great news, Kamalshah! Since you’ve mentioned having LVH, you may also want to read this month’s “Topic of the Month” original article: LVH: Heading Off a Common Heart Problem. You can read it at: http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200704/. It might give you some ideas to work with your doctor on.