Extension Sets

I am doing a little survey regarding placing extension (tranfer) set to new PD catheters. Do you A. Connect the transfer set directly to the titanium luer lock on the newly inserted cath B. Cut off the titanium if it is there and use a copack adaptor to attach the extension set or C. Cut the catheter, use a copack adaptor to connect the extension set to the newly inserted cath ? Curious as to best practice…

Please clarify what type of catheters you are using and what brand of extension set. Thanks.

Quniton tienckoff’s, FMC Stay Safe extension sets.

Hi, can you please tell me which stay safe extension set you are using? Fresenius Medical Care, NA has two types of stay safe extension sets: the stay safe luer lock patient connector and the stay safe patient connector without luer lock. I will be glad to give instructions on how to use either.

Linda Dickenson, RN, BSN, CNN, CPHQ
PD Education Manager
Fresenius Medical Care, NA

Luer Lock.

The staysafe luer lock extension set can be attached directly to the Quinton tienckoff of the newly inserted catheter. Please refer to the staysafe extension set instructions for use for detailed information, precautions, and warnings.
Linda Dickenson

Thank you. So there is no need to apply a co-pack adaptor to the newly inserted catheter? I don’t agree with cutting a new cath under any circumstances as I cannot assure sterility. My concern here is that I have been told that if I do not put a co-pack adaptor on the newly inserted catheter the quinton cath can pull away from the christmas tree plastic hub on the luer lock connector. In my experience I have attached the stay safe luer lock extension set directly to the newly inserted PD cath and none of them have loosened. One nurse has insisted I attach a co-pack instead of attaching the luer lock directly - she states if I don’t attach a co-pack and the extension set to the co-pack - the old safe lock connection on the co-pack - I am setting my patients up for their extension sets to fall off. That is not occurred yet in my experience. Again, I don’t want to cut the newly inserted catheter AT ALL - just in case the cath develops a leak or something in the future and I have to use the co-pack to salvage the cath I want as much catheter as I can get to work with! I hope you understand my wording here! Again, thanks!

For any questions regarding the use of Fresenius Medical Care PD products please call the PDServe Professional Resource Center at 1-888-557-3737. They will be able to provide you with the procedures for the best use of their specific products and you will have a live nurse to speak to directly for any questions you may have.

Respectfully I don’t have any questions. As I stated in the beginning I am seeking opinions and techniques of those in the field. So, do you or don’t you cut a new cath and utilize a co-pack adaptor? That is the question.

I’m the one that emailed Fresenius to ask staff there to share the best number for you to call to get an answer to your question. Since you’re using Fresenius supplies, it seems to me that rather than surveying professionals about what they do, Fresenius should be the best resource for whether or not you need to use the co-pack adapter.

From what I understand Beth there is no clear p/p which is precisely why I asked the question.