Finding a fill-in to run home txs

Has anyone ever found someone to help run txs so your caregiver could take a break? As far as I can tell it would have to be a nurse/tech who knows the particular machine or maybe swopping out caregiving duties with another patient’s caregiver. Looking for ideas so my caregivers can take a well deserved short vacation???

Really all your helped needs to know is how to call 911 and do an emergency disconnect. That is all I had mine trained to do as I do all the set up, hook up, running, and clean up myself.

So if you learn how to do it all yourself, almost anyone could fill in.

Cathy

I know if I were to take a vacation and leave hubby Ralph home. I could call our center and ask them if they can bring him in center for a week.
But I know that when I would get back he would not be feeling as good as he does now do nocturnal 6 times a week.
So
I will get my vacation when we visit Myrtle Beach in the Fall and bring our system with us.
I know we will still do dialysis at night but I also know that I will be on the beach in the water with my book from 9:am to 4:pm. That is my vacation and relaxation! Just having the waves roll up on me as I read calms me.
A week of that is like a month to me.
Pat

Well my 9 year old son isn’t a nurse and he is my helper a lot of the time. He knows how to reset alarms, give saline, re-fill the pressure pod, and return the blood. Oh and of course dial 911.

If you can do all your treatment yourself, as others have said, you could ask anyone (friend, neighbor, etc.) to stay with you while you do dialysis. You would need to explain to that person what would be required and let them know the types of problems that might occur and what to do if that happened. Keep your training manual nearby so you can look up things in case you don’t remember what to do. A friend who was a dialysis patient had to find multiple people to sit with him while his was was in the hospital. I was one of them. It helped to know that he knew what he was doing and would ask for help from me or his clinic if needed. And I knew how to call 911 if I needed to (which, thank goodness, I didn’t).