Fistulagram - What is involved in this procedure

Can anyone explain how a fistulagram is done? How long does it take and does it hurt? What exactly is done in the procedure? Do they inject die into your fistual? Is it safe to do this? Is it recommended to get a fistulagram if you are having no signs of problems or do they do them as a routine maintenance to see how your fistual is working>

Has anyone experienced any problems after this procedure was done / does the fistula suffer any after affects from the prodedure.

thanks

[quote=Unregistered;14117]Can anyone explain how a fistulagram is done? How long does it take and does it hurt? What exactly is done in the procedure? Do they inject die into your fistual? Is it safe to do this? Is it recommended to get a fistulagram if you are having no signs of problems or do they do them as a routine maintenance to see how your fistual is working>

Has anyone experienced any problems after this procedure was done / does the fistula suffer any after affects from the prodedure.

thanks[/quote]

[B]A few years ago I had this procedure done. They inserted the cathetor from my right side upper leg artery. It did hurt a bit, but not whole alot…they climb their way up near the heart and inject a dye…I did feel it crawl up, especially on tight veins…

I would have to say they would send you have do one when there’s visible signs of blockage. SOme of those signs include swelled up areas near the shoulder armpit and/or darkening of the lower arm extremities…[/B]

Here’s a website from the University of Virginia on fistulagrams that describes what it is, why it’s done, how to prepare for it, etc.
http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/radiology/angio/fistulagram.cfm