Fleet enema as Phosphorus additive

I’ve been told that many people use Fleet enema in the bicarbonate can to prevent too much phosphorus removal.

I would like to know how much to add for an 8 hour treatment.

Also, do I need a prescription or can I buy it off the internet and have it delivered at home if I’m going to be paying for it myself?

Thanks!

Hi there

I used 10ml for an 8 hour treatment. Just added it to the dialysate. Don’t seem to need it anymore. I had mine on a prescription.
Cheers

[QUOTE=kamalshah20;14657]I’ve been told that many people use Fleet enema in the bicarbonate can to prevent too much phosphorus removal.

I would like to know how much to add for an 8 hour treatment.

Also, do I need a prescription or can I buy it off the internet and have it delivered at home if I’m going to be paying for it myself?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Please check with your Nurse or Dr. When Ralph was on that they controlled how much I put into the Bicarb jug.
You can buy the fleets from walmart. I think it was $1.32 for a carton with 2 bottles.
Pat

We use 22.5 ml/ 8 hour treatment – the amount gets adjusted based on monthly phosphorus labs. I buy it from Hocks Drugs on the Internet for $3.25/45 ml bottle. We have to pay for it ourselves. If anyone has a cheaper source please let me know. I buy 3 dozen bottles at a time.

Mel

The amount of Fleet added should be individualised according to your pre and post serum phosphate levels as noted by Mel. This needs to be advised by your treating team. It may also vary over time as your diet modifies. In Australia, all dialysis equipment, consumables and drugs are paid for by the state or federal funding systems and not by the patient with all Australian nationals subject to the same safety net legislation, irrespective of disease or treatment.

Earlier, my pre and post dialysis Phosphorus were both bemow normal. I started taking Neutraphos - 1 packet each after breakfast and lunch.

Now, my pre dialysis Phosphorus is 3.1 mg/dl and post dialysis is 2.1 mg/dl. So, only the post dialysis Phosphorus is below normal. But then within a couple of hours of dialysis, I am taking the Neutraphos.

Do I still need to put Fleet enema in the dialysate? If so, how much?

Also, my pre dialysis Calcium is 10.7 mg/dl and post dialysis Calcium is 11.7 mg/dl - both above normal. My nephrologist has asked me to use a low Calcium dialysate. Currently, the acid which I use has 8 g/l of Calcium Chloride. He has asked me to reduce it to 6.5 g/l.

You need your team (Clinic and Dr) to advise you as how much to add per treatment. As you’ve noticed there is no set value. Maybe you need to inform your team of Fleets Phos/soda use to control PHOS and see what they prescribe.

We too used phos/soda in the Bicarbonate Jug when we were using the Fresenius machine.

HemoHelper

Hemohelper is exactly right, Kamal. Your doctor should be giving you medical advice, and should be just as concerned about your phosphorus levels as your calcium ones. How and where to get a product is a good question to ask here. How much of it to use and when is best asked of your nephrologist.