Fluid removal on HHD

Hi, I’m new to this so forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong place. I have a question about swelling and removing fluid. I’m taking .3 litres off but my weight ends up the same as when I start. I’m still retaining fluid in my legs. Shouldn’t my weight reflect the fluid removed? Thank you

This may sound like a silly question, but are you eating or drinking anything during your treatment? How long and how often do you do dialysis? Doing dialysis for more time allows fluid to move from your tissues to the bloodstream where it can be removed easier. Ask your home training nurse and/or nephrologist if there needs to be a change in your target weight since you’re retaining fluid and whether your dialysis prescription need to be tweaked. Here’s an article written by a patient that might give you some ideas of questions to ask your nurse/doctor.

2 Likes

Thank you for suggesting the article. I just started home dialysis 2 months ago. I only do treatment 4 days a week for about 2 hours 10 min. As I still have a little kidney function and my labs are good. Up until about two weeks ago everything was fine. Hardly took anything off. Just once in awhile. But now it seems my legs are constantly swollen it it’s also hard to tell between my R A swelling and just fluid buildup. Will go for monthly check up in a week and a half so I guess I’ll ask them then. Just have a hard time understanding the difference in weight and fluid weight. Thanks for your help. It’s nice to connect with others going through the same thing.

Mar, if you are on Facebook, you may want to join our discussion group, which is a lot more active than these message boards. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HomeDialysisCentral/

We are doing 8 hour nocturnal HD, and weight reduction very closely reflects the fluid that is taken off. The correlation has a lot to do with your machine settings or ,as you put it, the dialyses prescription. I think in your situation the settings are even more important seeing that you do such short sessions.

regards

Gerrit du Plooy