Fluid removal with daily vs nocturnal txs

Has anyone found that the body gives up more fluid with 3x week in-center txs vs daily and even more fluid with daily vs nocturnal txs.?

In my father’s case there was no difference in the amount of fluid given up on nocturnal as compared to 3x a week.

Hi y’all,

Jane, I actually don’t think it’s even physiologically POSSIBLE for 3x/week dialysis to remove as much fluid as daily or nocturnal. Here’s why: fluid in the body is in 3 different “compartments”:
– Some fluid is inside the cells (“intracellular”)
– Some fluid is in between the cells (“interstitial”)
– Some fluid is in the bloodstream (“intravascular”)

Only fluid that is currently in the bloodstream can be removed during a dialysis treatment–and it takes time for fluid to migrate from one compartment to another, because it has to diffuse through the cell walls. So, during a typical 2-4 hour long in-center treatment, only the extra fluid that is already in the bloodstream can be removed. If your ankles are very swollen, for example (pitting edema), that fluid is NOT in the bloodstream, it is inside or between the cells.

On the other hand, if you’re dialyzing every day, you have twice as many chances to take off fluid that is currently in the bloodstream. And with nocturnal treatments, more fluid is actually moving into the bloodstream DURING the treatment, so you can remove enough fluid that you may not even need fluid limits at all.

Yes, I noticed that…the reason for that is because most of the times our bodies are overloaded with fluid and the UFR is usually pushed up to take all of it in one visit…techs should ask the patient whether they wanna take it all out in one go…one of the reasons patients feel run down tired and drained…

In dailyhemo you manage it with more control by keeping fluids overload minimal or non at all…

Nocturnal you dialyze longer so there’s no time to have a fluid buildup…you can drink your way through while dialyzing… :roll:

gus writes:
the reason for that is because most of the times our bodies are overloaded with fluid and the UFR is usually pushed up to take all of it in one visit…techs should ask the patient whether they wanna take it all out in one go…one of the reasons patients feel run down tired and drained…

I have gained 1.0 and felt wiped out at the end of the tx. And I have gained 3.0 and the fluid came right off with no problem and I felt fine. The reason I see is whether or not the tx is idividualized to the patient. The machine settings determine how the patient will feel post tx. Dry weight, goal, conductivity, pH, sodium etc. can not be arbitrary. They affect the balance of the tx.

You are definately using a different machine, cuz mine doesn’t have all those settings…my results are the other way…