Fresenius 2008K and 4008

Dear Dr. Agar,

I have noticed that there are Fresenius two models for HD, 2008k and 4008.
Is 4008 much superior to 2008k?

Paul

There are a number of Fresenius models. In Australia, the more recent 5008 series include the 5008/5008S systems that offer online HDF, and the New Generation 4008S NG that allows both bicarbonate or acetate dialysis, single-needle click-clack, as well as isolated ultrafiltration and sodium profiling.

In the US, there are also the 2008T, K2 and K@Home (the Baby K).

The main difference is the ability of the 5008 series in Europe and Australia to add the HDF option.

In the end, all are good, reliable machines.

There are a number of Fresenius models. In Australia, the more recent 5008 series include the 5008/5008S systems that offer online HDF, and the New Generation 4008S NG that allows both bicarbonate or acetate dialysis, single-needle click-clack, as well as isolated ultrafiltration and sodium profiling.

In the US, there are also the 2008T, K2 and K@Home (the Baby K).

The main difference is the ability of the 5008 series in Europe and Australia to add the HDF option.

In the end, all are good, reliable machines.

Thanks for fast reply Dr. Agar.

Let us assume I am using K@Home in USA for Home HD. I travel to India for 2 months.
I believe there is no Fresenius HD or Home HD in India. I guess I would have to switch to
Nxstage system in India. Is it safe to do this?

Also assuming If I live in India for 6 months in India, I may get Home HD Nxstage
in India. Is it safe switching from K@Home in USA for part of the year then switching to Home HD Nxstage in India?

Paul

Thanks for fast reply Dr. Agar.

Let us assume I am using K@Home in USA for Home HD. I travel to India for 2 months.
I believe there is no Fresenius HD or Home HD in India. I guess I would have to switch to
Nxstage system in India. Is it safe to do this?

Also assuming If I live in India for 6 months in India, I may get Home HD Nxstage
in India. Is it safe switching from K@Home in USA for part of the year then switching to Home HD Nxstage in India?

Paul

Firstly, as best I understand it, Fresenius is in India. Secondly, and assuming that you are doing your own dialysis, then swapping between two very different systems would mean learning and resourcing two quite different platforms … and I am not quite sure why you would want to do that.

But, if you wished to pursue this further, I suggest you do so with both the people at NxStage and the people at Fresenius-Asia. It is not really in my remit to advise on issues like this nor appropriate for me to go further down this track.

Firstly, as best I understand it, Fresenius is in India. Secondly, and assuming that you are doing your own dialysis, then swapping between two very different systems would mean learning and resourcing two quite different platforms … and I am not quite sure why you would want to do that.

But, if you wished to pursue this further, I suggest you do so with both the people at NxStage and the people at Fresenius-Asia. It is not really in my remit to advise on issues like this nor appropriate for me to go further down this track.

Dear Dr. Agar,

Thank you for your opinion and insight.

Sincerely,
Paul