Department of Human Services’

Renal Dialysis Costing and Funding Review Report;

SUMMARY
The new funding model for renal dialysis services comprises:

• The use of three capitation grants and a single WIES payment rate;

• The capitation grant will include
$15,000 incentive payment for each home haemodialysis patient;
patient payment for home peritoneal dialysis and home haemodialysis;

• Allocation of cost savings to service development activities to support home dialysis

The new funding model will be implemented on 1 January 2008.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/renaldialysis/funding.htm

(A government that recognises that home dialysis is essential and that it costs dialyzors money! Hmmm I reckon a certain Prof that sometimes posts here might have had a fair bit to do with this Aussie first!!)

[quote=beachy;15373]Victoria Australia

Department of Human Services’

Renal Dialysis Costing and Funding Review Report;

SUMMARY
The new funding model for renal dialysis services comprises:

• The use of three capitation grants and a single WIES payment rate;

• The capitation grant will include
$15,000 incentive payment for each home haemodialysis patient;
patient payment for home peritoneal dialysis and home haemodialysis;

• Allocation of cost savings to service development activities to support home dialysis

The new funding model will be implemented on 1 January 2008.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/renaldialys...review.pdf

A government that recognises that home dialysis is essential and that it costs dialyzers money! Hmmm I reckon a certain Prof that sometimes posts here might have had a fair bit to do with this Aussie first!![/quote]

Wholly Goodness!! Coolio… Now its a matter of steps for us, hehehe

I think that what’s happening in Australia is fantastic…they took a good idea and ran with it in short order… no dickering around …no studying to death… no wasting millions of dollars on bogus BS… millions upon millions…all you have to do is look at the NIH study…a $3 million study to see if “more hemo dialysis is better” that’s the basic question…that $3 million study has ( the 1 year study started in 2006…outcomes not to be known unti 2010 , and I wouldn’t hold my breath on that ) balooned to the tune of $10 - $15 million…now that’s a hell of a lot of dialysis machines and lives

How embarrasing to Canada and the US…shame shame

Richard C/O Jessie

Mel I have been trying to figure out reimbursement in Oz since you posted this and I think it works out that a unit gets two payments - a capitation grant per dialyzor per year and a WEIS payment per dialyzor per treatment.

For those outpatients dialyzing 156 times a year it ends up being about $330AU per treatment (combining both payments).

For those at home the unit would receive one WEIS payment of about $150 to $170AU and one capitation payment of $50,000AU plus the new $15,000AU incentive payment.

Is that close?

Hi Bill

I need to find out more. Am going to a meeting in Sydney tomorrow and going to see if I can get further info. Will post ASAP

Cheers
Mel