H.r.3096

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered on here but could someone tell me where the H.R.3096 bill stands. Does it come back up for consideration when they are in session in June of this year?

3096 is up to 42 cosponsors. It will be under consideration until the end of the session in January 2007. Washington DC works in mysterious ways someone could insert a provision into a Bill but with out a companion Bill in Senate it is unlikely that it could become law this session.

However, it is still worthwhile to ask your representative to support the Bill. If your representative supports this Bill it will make it easier to get them to support future Bills, for instance HR 5321.

Hi y’all,

My understanding is that HR 5321 is meant to replacee HR 3096. They are working on having the sponsors of 3096 switch over. So, it may be best if you ask your representatives to sponsor 5321 instead. :smiley:

Hi, I haven’t been around here for a while, but am still trying to remain active in our quest. I just gave a speech the other night about home dialysis and the industry in general… It went well. In fact I ended up just winding it instead of reading the prepared remarks. Much thanks to Dr. Blagg and Proff. John Agar for their advice and help.

It is all but confirmed that Rep. James McGovern (D-MA) will co-sponsor this bill. I just got off the phone with a staff member. He has sponsored these bills in various incarnations over the years, so he was easy. I will meet with a staff member tommorow to hopefully finalize it. As Dr. Blagg said to me, we need all the co-sponors we can get. Just call your congressman and ask that they “re-sponsor” H.R 3096. Be informed, know your facts and give your own experiences. As we all know, and although I am not an ESRD patient, my spouse was, more dialysis is better. I have pushed and promoted these bills for years and although is she no longer alive I will do my best to get it through. It will be a tough fight to get this through but this time we do have a Republican that introduced it.

Here is some info if not already known:

MORE FREQUENT DIALYSIS IMPROVES THE HEALTH AND QUALITY OF LIFE OF KIDNEY PATIENTS AND REUCES OVERALL COSTS

Recommendation: Congress should enact legislation to make more frequent dialysis a treatment option available to all suitable patients in the Medicare ESRD Program

● The Medicare End-Stage Renal Disease Program covers some 400,000 patients and costs more than $17 billion annually. Some 325,000 patients are on hemodialysis, most for 3 times a week in a center. The annual mortality of U.S. hemodialysis patients has been 20% or more for many years, significantly worse than for patients in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
● Data from more than 400 patients on more frequent hemodialysis has shown great improvements in patient well-being and quality of life. Patient survival is improved, cardiac and other complications reduced, appetite and energy are improved, symptoms during and between treatments greatly reduced, and there are significant reductions in hospitalizations and the use of erythropoietin (EPO), antihypertensive and other drugs needed by dialysis patients.
● Current reimbursement limits hemodialysis generally to 3 times a week, so precluding most suitable U.S. patients from enjoying the great benefits of more frequent dialysis.
● Although more frequent dialysis requires increased reimbursement for supplies, overall costs to Medicare would be reduced because of fewer hospitalizations and medications.
● NIH and CMS are beginning a small study of more frequent dialysis but this will not be complete until 2009. Suitable patients who are prepared to do more frequent dialysis should not have to wait until then.

Key elements of HR 5321, introduced by Rep. Charles Bass with Reps. Jim McDermott and Sam Johnson, is legislation to cover more frequent dialysis in the Medicare ESRD Program
● This proposes a 5-year pilot project to measure the impact of paying for more frequent hemodialysis at home or in-center on a declining scale for each treatment beyond 3 times a week and that sets spending caps on expenditure for each year of the project. Data must be collected on costs and on patients working status and MedPac is to examine the data at the end of the project. More frequent hemodialysis is defined as hemodialysis four or more times per week or equivalent treatment sessions requiring blood access.

Endorsements
● More frequent hemodialysis has been supported by the National Kidney Foundation, the American Nephrology Nurses Association and the Renal Physicians Association. The American Association of Kidney Patients encourages “development of new treatment methods which will result in improved quality of care and clinical outcomes for kidney patients.”
● All the many reports from the U.S. and elsewhere have shown more frequent short dialysis by day and long overnight dialysis are significantly better for patients than conventional 3 times a week dialysis. As a result, the governments of the Netherlands, the Province of British Columbia, Canada, and the State of Victoria, Australia, already support more frequent dialysis and the government of Australia actively supports increased utilization of home hemodialysis.
● Fewer than 10% of all patients who have experienced more frequent dialysis ever want to go back to 3 times a week dialysis.

We are two physicians who between have treated more than 100 patients with short daily and/or long nightly hemodialysis.

Christopher R Blagg MD, Robert S Lockridge MD,

Thanks for your continued advocacy and this very timely post John. I will be in DC loobying for 5321 next Tuesday and had preparing a drop off sheet on my list of things to do today. This is very helpfull.

You go Bill! Get them to say YES! … 8) 8)

Hi all,

Just got back from a meeting with Rep. James McGovern’s (D-MA) staff member in my town af Attleboro, MA.
Not only did I expose my book, but it was so inspiring to discuss HR 5312, home dialysis and feel comfortable doing it.
The staff person, Lisa was very receptive to the learning process that goes with our quest of more dialysis is better. Never mind the history of dialysis, Medicare and the $17 billion our country spends-and what more is better could save.
As an author and writer the rule is always less is better.
Well we know better. More means less.
Education, educating congress about ESRD is paramount. Our government gave us the oppurtunity in 1973. Let’s try and save money by passing HR 5312