Hello

Hello there,:):slight_smile:
I am a 41 year male with ESRD. My Renal problems started showing up in 2000, due to having been an insulin dependent diabetic since age six. May 16th of 2006 I woke up on dialysis in an intensive care unit 2 hours from home. I went to incenter dialysis for a year then started self cannulating. The Nephrologist I had at the time was against this and we were not happy with each other. I was approached by the centers administrator and asked if I’d be interested in home hemo. My 16 year old son and I drove 2 hours each way for 3 weeks of training and on June 1st of 2007 I started dialyilizing at home using my Nxstage cycler and Pureflow. Personally I would quit dialysis befor going back to incenter treatment.

I am currently on a panc./ kidney transplant list and am told I have atleast another year wait.

vraywaiting

I’m on a new kick to get every body who’s doing home dialysis to stop using the term ESRD. I’m a CKD5 dialyzor aand not at the “end” of anything. If you want to learn more about my position, please go to DSEN.

Hi Vraywaiting,

Welcome to Home Dialysis Central, and congratulations for finding your way to a treatment that lets you feel better and regain control of your life!

I can’t imagine how harrowing it must have been to wake up in an ICU–and to overcome the objections of an unsupportive doctor to put in your own needles.

We’re glad to have you join us and hope you’ll share your experiences.

Oops–forgot to mention that a friend of mine has had a K/P for probably 15 years now, and is doing great with it. :slight_smile:

[quote=vraywaiting;17753]Hello there,:):slight_smile:
I am a 41 year male with ESRD. My Renal problems started showing up in 2000, due to having been an insulin dependent diabetic since age six. May 16th of 2006 I woke up on dialysis in an intensive care unit 2 hours from home. I went to incenter dialysis for a year then started self cannulating. The Nephrologist I had at the time was against this and we were not happy with each other. I was approached by the centers administrator and asked if I’d be interested in home hemo. My 16 year old son and I drove 2 hours each way for 3 weeks of training and on June 1st of 2007 I started dialyilizing at home using my Nxstage cycler and Pureflow. Personally I would quit dialysis befor going back to incenter treatment.

I am currently on a panc./ kidney transplant list and am told I have atleast another year wait.

vraywaiting[/quote]

Hi VRay Waiting! I wonder if that Nephrologist didn’t trust people self-cannulating or just was not very educated on the benefits of it. I am glad you are proactive in your care and advocate so well for yourself! I wanted to self-cannulate but my fistula gave me too much trouble and my fear of needles also made it intimidating to me. But I still know how much better it is to do it yourself to make sure the right angles are used each and every time as well as the benefits of dialysis done more often like real kidneys are. As for the term ESRD I don’t mind it as I realize it is only the end of the kidney’s health but does not mean the end of control over your own care and future. Glad you took things into your own hands and learn as much as you can on what is best for you!