Hemo Dailysis

Anyone out there here of Life Site System for dailysis, I’ve been on dailysis for just 10 years feel good and scared of a transplant but I’m looking for another way two do dailysis other then a fistula you know when it backs up.

I think the life site system was pulled from the market. The ports beneath the skin system were associated with adverse outcomes.

What do you see as the downside of a fistula?

Hi Gordie,

Bill is right–I can’t even find a Vasca company website any more. That device caused blood clots. Maybe you’re thinking of the newer HeRO device? http://www.hemosphere.net/. What type of dialysis have you been doing for 10 years?

Hey Bill I have nothing about the fistula but when it packs up and then you are stuck with the line in your neck thats what I’m talking about. I wish they would start working on things more important on life and not stupid thing about life if you know what I mean.

A fistula is created by connecting one of your arteries to one of your veins. There is nothing artificial with a fistula that could cause you to have a sensitivity or allergic reaction. It is the least likely to clot and it has the lowest rate of infection of all the hemodialysis accesses. I’ve known people who had a working fistula for decades.

How long a fistula lasts depends in part on how you take care of it and whether you can keep your blood pressure from dropping too low during dialysis. One of the best ways to ensure that a fisula lasts a long time is to make sure it’s created by a vascular surgeon who has lots of experience with a high degree of success, that you learn to do home hemodialysis including how to care for your access to prevent infection, and that you learn to do your own needle sticks or have a single care partner who does your needle sticks for you. Dropping your blood pressure can clot your access. Also, performing sloppy access care or using poor cannulation technique can be risky if you want to keep a dialysis access a long time. I’d suggest that you look at the Fistula First website for information about dialysis accesses:
http://www.fistulafirst.org/

Wasn’t it at the ADC in Seattle that we heard a presentation that the number to look for was 25 surgeries during training - see Peter’s recent blog post.