Heparin Use and Problems

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems using the syringe to inject heparin into your dialysate bags. I have poked through the bag before and had to use a new one. I also have accidentally stabbed myself with the syringe as well. Does anyone else have this problem?

We have all stabbed ourselves at least once with the syringe. OUCH! The Heparin is supposed to be injected into the PORT not the bag. Are you having trouble using the PORT? It is important that you insert the needle directly into the center of the PORT…otherwise the needle will penetrate the outside of the port, spraying the heparin onto the bag or table. Contact your PD nurse for help.

My dialysis center taught me to draw back my 2cc dose of heparin into a 10cc syringe, then using my venous line to attach to the syringe then draw back to the 10cc mark and back down to the 2cc mark 4 or 5 times and as long as there are no air bubbles, finally push the plunger all the way down hook up to the machine and treat. You might want to check with your HHD team to see if that’s a possibility for you as well. Good luck my friend. Long life and happiness to you.

1 Like

I’m on Home Hemo and I do the same as the previous post. My Heprin goes into my arterial port, not the hanging bag. Good Luck