High protein brekky?

Heck, I ate 3 large size bananas the other day… :stuck_out_tongue: …but first before I did I knew how my previous labs were so that called for more fruit…

Basicly, am eating normally…something that was restricted during my in-center years…

Ive had two smallish bananas in the one day as well. I made a smoothie and GOD IT WAS GOOD!!! Couldnt even touch bananas or tomato before I was on nocturnal.

Yesterday I had a banana with breakfast, a toasted tomato sandwich, some red lentil soup for lunch, and two big bean burritos for supper, along with lots of cheese, sour cream, salsa - not counting the 3 cups of coffee and some apple juice. Of course, I would never have eaten that when dialyzing 3 times per week. Often, just before dialysis, I have a glass of V8 juice.

Of course, that’s just me. Everyone is different, so don’t follow my example unless you know what you are doing.

It sure would save dialysis patients a lot of needless concern about diet if they could only come up with an easy self-test for serum potassium!

Pierre

Sounds like a great idea for some company that makes testing equipment. I don’t know if it would even be possible, but can you even imagine the market???

Ive always thought about a self tester too. But I guess thats what the dietitions for, if you follow the diet you should be fine. In my case though, mine was going up too high, even though I followed the diet to the exact number. Tried telling the rounds doctor this but he didnt beleive me.

Some medications can affect potassium levels. Also, some people don’t realize that LoSalt contains potassium chloride and can raise your potassium level.

This article has a list of drugs that increase and decrease potassium levels:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Potassiumcs.html

[quote=“Pierre”]I love a club sandwich in the morning after my dialysis. I’ve never been to Australia, so I don’t know if this is known down under. Just your standard club, three slices of bread, one layer of tomato, bacon, one layer of turkey or chicken, lettuce, and mayo. I soak any fat off the bacon with a paper towel. Sometimes, I will add a slice of cheese for the extra protein.

YUM! All that plus bean burritos and sour cream! Gee Pierre, I’d love to come to your place for a meal. Sounds like it would make a lovely little restaurant! HEAVEN. I couldn’t be bothered with all that cooking, do you get all this as takeaways, being a city boy I guess you could? 8)

All this talk of food is making me hungry!!! Ive never had a club sandwhich, but it does sound good!

When you’re French, you just gotta eat well :slight_smile:

LOL, no, I don’t get all that from take-out. I live right downtown, and there certainly are plenty of restaurants nearby, but they don’t see me as a customer too often. It would cost me a fortune. I make an exception for cheeseburgers and my weekly pizza though :slight_smile:

By the way, red lentil soup has got to be one of the easiest soups to make at home. It only takes an hour from scratch, and it’s wonderful. One nice thing about not working is that it does allow more time to do things like exercise, cooking, etc.

The subject of transplant vs daily hemo came up in another thread. I’ve never had a transplant, but I know many people who have, and I’ve attended the education sessions. I remain convinced that we can eat more liberally on daily hemo than transplanted people can, especially with regards to sodium.

Pierre

It is true, diet is quite restrictive on transplant with sodium, and what you eat…you always have to keep weight under control and simply always stay slim…with so much great food out there its simply hard…

Pierre
Can we have the recipe for Red Lentil soup? I could go a bowl right now! (6 in the morning) Can I have mine with lots of chilli? 8)

Ok, but I warn you, I don’t measure anything when I cook :slight_smile:

A little bag of red lentils. It has to be the tiny red lentils, or else it won’t work. I forget what the quantity is, as I don’t have a bag here at the moment, but I think it’s a little under 2 cups of lentils. Add lentils, one chopped onion, one chopped medium carrot, a little extra virgin olive oil, some parsley, a clove or two of garlic, and 8 cups of water. I actually sauté the onion in the olive oil a bit before I add anything else. Bring to boil and then let simmer for an hour to an hour and a half at a low boil. The lentils will sort of dissolve and make a nice, thick creamy stock kind of similar to French pea soup. Stir every once in a while. Near the end, add a few pinches of salt to taste, and stir in a small can of diced, drained tomatoes. I put some tabasco sauce in it too, but it’s not necessary. I like mine vegetarian, but some people add cubed ham or bacon. It makes a nice wholesome lunch with crusty bread.
Pierre

What about posting this to the thread with recipes so people find it? Are there other recipes in this thread that could be posted there? I’d suggest putting the name of the recipe in the subject line to help people find recipes easier.

I remember reading Gus’s Beef Jerky somewhere…
beachy

The difference with a transplant diet is that you only have to watch the quantity that you eat. While on dialysis, you cant have this or that. You have to drink lots of water with a transplant too. I didnt restrict my salt though. I wasnt really told any specifics except to drink drink drink. I would rather a transplant any day. I did gain 10kgs, but I lost it when I realised I had to stop. This time I plan to get down as low as I can so if I gain a little bit its not going to be such a big deal.