Holidays - What did you do differently?

Hi y’all,

I keep forgetting to ask this question: For those of you who are doing home treatment now (but were in-center before), how were your holidays different? Did you go somewhere you wouldn’t have? Eat things you couldn’t? Have more energy?

Rather than doing incenter nocturnal three days a week I was able to dialyze at my Mom’s condo at my own convenience.

Hi Dori,

The holidays are different/better for us being at home, because we are able to accommodate more visiting/festivities. I can alter my schedule to accommodate get togethers and gatherings, rather then having to decline because of an inflexible hospital schedule.

It also allows me a little bit more freedom with fluid/diet, as I have the security net, I suppose, of the dialysis machine at home. I am very compliant all year long - but indulge slightly over the holidays. I would have to say that cheese is my guilty pleasure.

It was also great, in that, I was able to dialysize early on Christmas eve, in anticipation of the arrival of ‘Santa’. My husband and I have a 4 year old daughter. I wasn’t too tired to wait up this year! ha ha

Kidney_Mom in Canada

Thanks, you guys! We hear a lot of “generic” stuff about more energy, more liberal diets, and all that, but I think it helps some folks to get more specific. :slight_smile:

Hi Folks

I only spent 5 months in center. .Christmas05/ new yrs 06…I guess just new to in center and all the things that were going on edges of my life. Christmas/New yrs. It would not have matter much to trips or anything at that time.

Doing home hemo over the last 2 plus yrs. And since I started with nxstage. Holidays for me have more to my age . Holidays have been very small gatherings ( 10 yrs pre dialysis). We (Eleanor and I) would see my younger sister and her son (he is 7 now) and my Mother. Then over the holidays ( thanksgiving, Christmas, New yrs) as the big holidays we would go see Eleanor family. With nxstage set up in a way that a person can bring the dialysis with them.

Maybe the question should re posted as to how has a person life’s has changed from in center to home to what a person started with at home, 3 days a wk at home? to 6 short ,to 6 long . other things that could play a role is if the person has been with same center from the start or has moved from center to center and not just center but the companies.

I just now started talking in a way with my center that should have going on from the start. Hope this help somewhat

thanks

Bob O’Brien
coatesville

I ate and drank whatever I wanted to, how much I wanted to. Of course, I did that while I was in-center also. I don’t believe in cutting back during the holidays. I gotta enjoy them while I am here to do so.

That was me. I don’t know why it had me as unregistered.

LeRoy, where have you been? We need to catch up.

NEARLY EVERYTHING WAS DIFFERENT!!

• Being able to eat full holiday meals
  • Being able to drink more Koolaid, … har har har
  • Being able to enjoy every hour of the holidays without worrying about incenter
  • Avoiding long delays/lines in waiting room incenter
  • Avoiding the cold weather
  • Best of all, being able to have frequent dialysis at home

[quote=Dori Schatell;17057]Hi y’all,

I keep forgetting to ask this question: For those of you who are doing home treatment now (but were in-center before), how were your holidays different? Did you go somewhere you wouldn’t have? Eat things you couldn’t? Have more energy?[/quote]

No skimping on the pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes, hey, Gus? :smiley: