How do you set your NxStage UF rate and volume?

The protocol for the clinic I use is to set the UF rate to 1.5 and the UF volume to how much fluid you want to remove. If the UF volume is 0 (zero) we still set the UF rate to 1.5. Actually, the UF rate of 1.5 has been preset for me.

I’m interested in learning what values others use when setting these parameters? I am particularly concerned about the rate setting when the UF volume is zero.

I am not sure I understand why you would set the rate to the same # every day. We were taught to weigh, calculate the weight you want to take off plus anything you drink while on the machine, then enter that volume (or adjust it if you don’t want to remove it all in one day.0 Then you calcuate the rate, based on the volume; and that changes every day.

We add .3 to the volume to include the rinseback volume (not all machines are set the same way so you may not need to do that). We divide the total volume to be rem’d by 2 so it can be rem’d over 2 hours and that is your rate. Sometimes we divide the volume by 2.25 to take off the fluid over 2 1/4 hrs & that makes it a little more gentle if there’s a lot to take off.

We have run with the volume at zero several times, and then just set the rate screen for .3 to remove just the rinseback. But if your machine is already set to do that, then you could leave the rate at 0. Of course, check with your nurse or dr, but I’d ask why the rate would not be adjusted according to the volume each day.

Blessings to you,
Laurie

[QUOTE=Unregistered;15150]I am not sure I understand why you would set the rate to the same # every day. …

We add .3 to the volume to include the rinseback volume (not all machines are set the same way so you may not need to do that). …

We have run with the volume at zero several times, and then just set the rate screen for .3 to remove just the rinseback. …

Blessings to you,
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response.

Point 1: I am uncertain as well and have not yet received a satisfactory answer that’s why I am researching.

Point 2: This makes sense to me and sounds very appropriate.

Point 3: This is a little confusing. Why is the rate set to .3 if the volume is zero? If volume was distance and rate is Miles/Hour you would be trying to go zero miles at a speed of .3 MPH. In this case you are removing zero liters at a rate of .3 L/hr. In either case why do you need a rate to achieve zero? That’s what confuses me.

Hi Folks

Hi
Just a question or two.
Are you a dialysis consumer or a dialysis tech?

If you are not taking anything off how would the UF rate work , I thought some value would have to be put in volume?

I’ve been on nxstage for 18 months and I always had something to come off. I’m not saying it impossible to have nothing to come off I just see no reason why one would set the UF rate to anything.
I’m sure that others will chip in a day or two who have more time than I do and know more.

best to you
bob obrien

[QUOTE=Arnie_In_NC;15148]The protocol for the clinic I use is to set the UF rate to 1.5 and the UF volume to how much fluid you want to remove. If the UF volume is 0 (zero) we still set the UF rate to 1.5. Actually, the UF rate of 1.5 has been preset for me.

I’m interested in learning what values others use when setting these parameters? I am particularly concerned about the rate setting when the UF volume is zero.[/QUOTE]

I am a consumer/user.

[I]If you are not taking anything off how would the UF rate work [/I] That is exactly the question I am asking…

For the NxStage cycler, if it is set to remove the rinseback and you are not removing fluid, you have to have a rate programmed, or you get a treatment time of 99:59. Had that happen earlier this year.

I hope that helps understand why you need a UF rate, even if you are removing 0.0.

Arnie;

Uf rate??? UF volume???
How do you calculate these???
Here is what you need to know.

1. You need to know what your system setting for #38 (Remove Rinseback Volume).
    Depending what it is set at it either removes the rinseback before any UF is done or
    Not remove the rinseback.
  2. What your dry weight (a good reliable scale weight in KILO’s)
  3. Calculate UF VOLUME
    (Treatment weight) minus (Dry Weight)= UF Volume
    example: 50.2 Kilo - 49.0Kilo = 1.2 Kilo (Dry Wt = 49.0 Kilo)
  4. Calculate UF RATE: (system set-up #38 set with “0”)
    (UF Volume) + (Rinseback) divided by time
    example: 1.2 Kilo + .3 Kilo divided by 2 hrs = .75 UF Rate (.3 k rinseback)

Can’t figure why your center has not taught you how to figure this out…
Anyway the 1.2 rate that you see on your machine is set by your center. It can Be changer…again (System Setting #3 [Initial UFP]and #44 [Alternate UF Units])
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO: WHILE IN TRAINING HAVE THE INSTRUCTOR TRAIN YOU IN HOW TO SET AND CHANGE THE SYSTEM SETTINGS (APPENDIX A) IN YOUR SYSTEM ONE MANUAL… It is important that they share what the numbers are set in the System Settings. Why is it important??? Ask them who will be responsible to input these nembers when you get a replacemant System One because your machine goes belly-up… It will happen believe me. NxStage will send one out and delivered to your door the next day… When UPS/FDX delivers it who will be responsible to set this up?
Be pro-active and get it done yourself… I know you will be wanting to travel with the System One so imagine yourself laying on a sandy beach in Florida and oops your machine goes on the blink… You get a new one the next day but it will not have the correct system settings…Now What??? Anyway after you get these numbers that your center uses write it down in the manual in Appendix “A” so you have it all the time because you will always take the manual when you travel.

Hope this Helps.
HemoHelper

Our clinic gave us a rate chart to go by per the company’s protocol.

If your UF Set your UF
Volume is: Rate at:

0 Kg                 0.00 

0.1 to 0.5 Kg 0.20

0.6 to 1.0 Kg 0.40

1.1 to 1.5 Kg 0.60

1.6 to 2.0 Kg 0.80

2.1 to 2.5 Kg 1.0

2.6 to 3,0 Kg 1.2

Hi Folks

I think the question is “if you are not taken anything off,no rinseback ,nothing, then why have a UF rate at all”

As to preset rate and volumes. each center has there own rules. I’ve been in three units in two yrs. and each had there own rules on everything. I’m just now getting the hand of my new units. On my machine the values that are preset are the blood pump rate(200) and dialysate volume (30 L ). As to UF rate I have to put the rate and volume in for each tx.
bob obrien

1 Like

[QUOTE=HemoHelper;15156]Arnie;

Uf rate??? UF volume???
How do you calculate these???
Here is what you need to know.

1. Calculate UF VOLUME
    (Treatment weight) minus (Dry Weight)= UF Volume
    example: 50.2 Kilo - 49.0Kilo = 1.2 Kilo (Dry Wt = 49.0 Kilo)
  2. Calculate UF RATE: (system set-up #38 set with “0”)
    (UF Volume) + (Rinseback) divided by time
    example: 1.2 Kilo + .3 Kilo divided by 2 hrs = .75 UF Rate (.3 k rinseback)

Can’t figure why your center has not taught you how to figure this out…

Hope this Helps.
HemoHelper[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your detailed reply but my original question relates to your point 3 and 4 and not my ability to do the calculations.

(Treatment Weight) = 90.5
(Dry Weight) = 90.9

90.5 - 90.9 = -0.4 [that is minus 0.4]

Now when you do (UF Volume) + (Rinseback) divided by time you get:

(-0.4 + 0.3)/2 = -0.05

Now unless you can do time travel, a rate of negative 0.05 L/Hr makes little sense and brings me back to my original question: How do YOU set YOUR UF rate if the UF volume is 0 (zero)?

Arnie;

If your UF target Volume is “0” or less than zero … Then set the rate to “0”…that way you are only doing Hemodialysis (HD)…You need to set the UF rate to “0” too. For us if the UF volume is less than .5 Kilo we just do HD. and set both the rate and volume to "0’.

I think that your center has preset in the system set-up this rate of 1.2 for the UF Pump rate. It is just a starting point… And I assume that they picked this number because it was the average starting point for most of their patients that are using the NxStage. The setting can be changed see Appendix "A"in the manual. After a few months you will find that you will consistantly change this to XXX. when you figure what your UF rate is most of the time go to system set-up and change it… Like a mentioned HAVE YOUR TRAINER SHOW YOU HOW TO DO THIS… Stay up and pay attention when they cover this topic…

HemoHelper

at my clinic if the pt has a neg wt gain or very little wt gain we usually set the goal at run natural and the uf rate will not be more than 300