How many people are working?

Hi Folks

Are there any #'s that give an idea of how many people on dialysis( both home and in center) that are working real full time jobs?

Back when I worked , I never had a company that would have had me working full time. I had a boss that told me that when I got my problem fixed he might give my job back.

Bob Obrien

Full time no, odd jobs & voluntary work yes.

bobeleanor

Your employeer must treat you equally and not discriminate against you according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. They cannot turn you down for reaises, promotions, or even being hired full time if you met the requirements.

I work full time on a regular job. I work as a Project Manager in a software development company. I dialyse 6 nights a week at home.

HI Folks

The question is not about what happen , We are know that there are a lot of things that should not happen, but do happen.

I just wanted to know if there are #'s that show how many people on dialysis that are working full real jobs.

Are the three who reply, are you working full time real jobs?
bob obrien

Yes, I am working on a full time real job. My working hours are from 9 a.m. to about 6 p.m.

Hi Folks

Hi Kamalshah

I mean and meant no ill will to anyone. I just wanted to know if there were #'s on the how many people are working. I have done a google on the subject ,but have not found a site that has the most update #'s on people working full time jobs. I found a site that talked about SSA wanting a study done on the # of people who are working and if the new machines and some DRs new thinking that is the real goal. At least for who are healthy and strong to go back or contiune work.
bob obrien

Bob, there are only two data points available for employment among people who need dialysis, but both of them are predialysis numbers. On the CMS-2728 form that is filled out when any person starts dialysis, it asks two questions:
– Were you working full or part-time 6 months ago
– Are you working full or part-time now

There is no follow-up once people actually start dialysis, and the data themselves tend to be reported for ALL patients, not just those who are working-age. We did a study looking just at people who were ages 18-55, and found that:
– In the general population, about 66% of folks this age are working
– 6 months before starting dialysis, only 37% of people who would start dialysis were working
– At the start of treatment, only 24% of working-age people starting dialysis were working

The ESRD Networks do collect data on people working, but they recently changed their definition of “work.” If Beth checks in, she may be able to shed some light on those numbers.

Hi Folks

Thanks Dori

Here is where I try to find out the % of people on dialysis who are working. And for me I was more or less thinking in terms of work as being a 6am to 2pm or 2pm to 10pm or 10pm to 6am. and sunday night to saturday am or monday to friday. Like I said I looked into this page and did not understand most of what I saw… This was the only page that had something outside pages of single persons stories.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/renalsum.htm

“The purpose of this report is to evaluate the U.S. Social Security Administration’s (SSA’s) current Listing of Impairments (“Listings”) for determining disability in individuals with chronic renal failure (CRF). Renal failure occurs when the kidneys lose their ability to filter wastes from the blood. It can occur as a result of chronic conditions such as primary kidney disease (e.g., glomerulonephritis), diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. Renal failure can also be acute, occurring from a sudden injury or illness, such as a blow to the abdomen, bacterial infection, or drug overdose.”

I still work 40+hrs. wk. and travel to Corpus Christi from Alvin, Texas every week,twice a week, for the entire time I have been on the NxStage machine. I have no intentions of stopping either.

40+ hours per week, flex time and on occasion I telecommute. At times i work part time at a bookstore in addition to my FT job. I travel whenever needed. My last trip was DC to St. Petersburg, FL.

Hi Folks
Those of that work , would you be working if you were in center?

bob obrien

Bob:

What is a fake job?

Erich
aka theriverdude

[QUOTE=bobeleanor;14963]HI Folks

The question is not about what happen , We are know that there are a lot of things that should not happen, but do happen.

I just wanted to know if there are #'s that show how many people on dialysis that are working full real jobs.

Are the three who reply, are you working full time real jobs?
bob obrien[/QUOTE]

Bob,

An equally compelling question is how many are full time care givers to young children and on short term daily?

And, how many are care givers to young children and working full or part time?

I am a full time care giver to a 3 year old and 8 year old but am unable to work full time because of symptoms resulting from ESRD even though I dialyze six times a week for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Erich
aka the riverdude

[QUOTE=Unregistered;14993]Bob:

What is a fake job?

Erich
aka theriverdude[/QUOTE]

I would not work if I were in center thrice a week.

Kamal

Hi Folks
Erich
I understand there are no “fake jobs”, The question was geared more towards , Dori , Beth, and Bill. I thought they more than any one would have a site that gave #'s on people working full time outside the house jobs. Traditional jobs, in the sense that you left your house drove 15 miles( I think 15 miles is norm) one way and a shift.
I to worked in taking of my mom and with others , while being in center. I understand that people idea of work can vary. Doing home dialysis 6 days a week is a full time job, one we don’t get payed for ,but our centers get payed for our work.
bob obrien

[QUOTE=Unregistered;14993]Bob:

What is a fake job?

Erich
aka theriverdude[/QUOTE]