How to increase dialysis time

I’m new here. Iam on HD 6 gays a weel. Hard to do. How can I lengthen tx and cut down to 5 days? Thank

Which machine are you on, and currently how many hours per treatment?

Have you asked your dialysis provider if they offer extended treatments (treatments over 6 hours, often 8 hours)?

I found 6x/week 3 hour treatments on the NxStage very tiresome - I think dialyzing longer while sleeping is much easier from a logistics point of view and also it provides an increased sense of health.

I would speak with your physician - is nocturnal something you have considered? I would think (this is not a medical opinion), that your plan would work, if you did 3 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 1 off… I would personally, not want to compromise the 5 on, 2 off consecutive… (fluid overload, toxin build up might be too great) if you are used to 6 days at present.

Good luck in achieving a balance.

I tried short daily a few months ago (6 days a week), and within 2 weeks, was going absolutely batty! It was way too much emotionally for me (personally), though I know others who swear by it. I could not get my head around, being ‘tied’ up… [apologize if that term offends anyone]… everyday. It was litterally more then I could take.

Best of luck to you.

Kidney_Mom in Canada