How to take shower bath with CAPD catheter ? Can this be kept open and washed the area with normal bathing soap ? Is there a document that explains precautions while taking normal standing bath, not tub or wimming pool etc

How to take shower bath with CAPD catheter ? Can this be kept open and washed the area with normal bathing soap ? Is there a document that explains precautions while taking normal standing bath, not tub or wimming pool etc.

I haven’t actually read the publication that explains exactly why we cannot take a bath. I have been told that the bacteria that’s contained in standing water is more apt to start an infection. My instructions were to shower with the catheter uncovered and use liquid soap to wash the area and the tube. I’ve been doing CAPD For several years using this method and have had no problems whatsoever with infection.

Use Dial soap as it is more mild. On pd for 5.5 years, no problem.

I found these showering instructions on the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis site. They were developed to standardize care in the Toronto Home Peritoneal Dialysis (PD) Units and Home Care Agencies. I’d suggest you share them with your home training nurse and/or nephrologist to see if they have any other suggestions.