How to take shower bath with CAPD catheter ? Can this be kept open and washed the area with normal bathing soap ? Is there a document that explains precautions while taking normal standing bath, not tub or wimming pool etc

How to take shower bath with CAPD catheter ? Can this be kept open and washed the area with normal bathing soap ? Is there a document that explains precautions while taking normal standing bath, not tub or wimming pool etc.

I haven’t actually read the publication that explains exactly why we cannot take a bath. I have been told that the bacteria that’s contained in standing water is more apt to start an infection. My instructions were to shower with the catheter uncovered and use liquid soap to wash the area and the tube. I’ve been doing CAPD For several years using this method and have had no problems whatsoever with infection.

Use Dial soap as it is more mild. On pd for 5.5 years, no problem.

I found these showering instructions on the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis site. They were developed to standardize care in the Toronto Home Peritoneal Dialysis (PD) Units and Home Care Agencies. I’d suggest you share them with your home training nurse and/or nephrologist to see if they have any other suggestions.

Thank you Beth. Beth if I want to give you a call what would be the good time? Also I want to know about following. I am doing CAPD for my 77 year old father. Off lately his wt has fallen down from 53 kg to 49kg and problem is he not eating. Whenever I compel him to eat he will say he will vomit and he has a feeling that fluid is flowing. We give him PAN 40 in the morning and Ranitidine for acidity in the morning and pantoprazole & itoprode hydrochloride in the night. We are dining Icodextrine 7.5 12 hrs overnight and fluid outcome is 2600 ml and other 3 cycle 4 hr each of dextrose 2.5 with fluid outcome is just equal of input I.e 2000ml. Do let me know if the ablove line of treatment is correct as per your treatment. He is not taking eggs so it is problem for us now. Do have your suggestions how to have him eat?

I’m a social worker and not a doctor, nurse or dietitian. I do know from my experience working with dialysis patients that it’s very important for patients doing PD to eat lots of protein-rich foods to keep their albumin level if possible at 4. Below 3.5 and patients are at risk of infection, hospitalization and death. A renal dietitian could help you figure out what foods he could eat that could help him gain good body weight and get his albumin in the right range.

I don’t know about dialysis prescriptions for PD. His nurse or doctor should be able to tell if he’s on the right prescription based on lab results that show if he’s getting adequate dialysis. His Kt/V (measure of adequate dialysis) should be at least 1.7 or higher. PD may be removing fluid, but it might not be removing enough wastes. If so, that could be why he feels nauseated. If his dialysis adequacy is OK, there are medications that can help with nausea.

Thank you Beth this is really helpful