I would like to start a home hemo staffing agency

I need to known what steps I need to take to make this happen I have over 13yrs exper and would to make this happen any suggestion

I would like to be your first client i can be reached at las_vegas3rd@yahoo.com

Are you thinking of staffing to fill in for care partners or staffing to staff up home hemo training units? I could see both being helpful but if it is the later you should post to the pro thread.

staffing as partners to clients who need partners to do the training with or someone to go to the clients home and do the treatment each day I have 13yrs in dialysis acutes,chronic,home dialysis. Pro thead is were I will be heading in its more informative thank you.

This is something we’ve talked about on the boards for years. I am fortunate to have several family members who serve as caregivers, however the bulk of my care is on one of them. I always have the thought that what if something happened to my main caregiver or if for any reason he could not continue?

Also, I would like an arrangement where I could find a fill-in so my family can go on a nice vacation or have someone that could take over to assist me when they have important business occasions or just need a break Also, this service would have to be affordable such as paid for by Medicare. Or we have bandied about different ideas like contacting nursing students who might like to take on the task for a reasonable fee. And then the question is having a dependable person there when they are needed- not constantly losing a helper after we have trained them. So, there is certainly a need for this service.

[QUOTE=Jane;19322]This is something we’ve talked about on the boards for years. I am fortunate to have several family members who serve as caregivers, however the bulk of my care is on one of them. I always have the thought that what if something happened to my main caregiver or if for any reason he could not continue?

Also, I would like an arrangement where I could find a fill-in so my family can go on a nice vacation or have someone that could take over to assist me when they have important business occasions or just need a break Also, this service would have to be affordable such as paid for by Medicare. Or we have bandied about different ideas like contacting nursing students who might like to take on the task for a reasonable fee. And then the question is having a dependable person there when they are needed- not constantly losing a helper after we have trained them. So, there is certainly a need for this service.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jane that’s one of the service’s( respite) I’ve heard pt and family members request time and time agian and I plan on accomodating this service once I figure out the billing and reasonble cost Iam still doing research in this area and thank you for your comment.

There are patients who could do home hemodialysis themselves but do not have family or friends who are willing to be the helpers that most dialysis clinics require for home hemodialysis. There are other patients who have conditions in addition to kidney failure that can’t be met in dialysis because they don’t have enough staff or the environment to treatment them. Examples include patients on vents or with trachs. I’ve talked with family members who would love to have their loved ones home on hemodialysis.

Unfortunately, Medicare never pays for home dialysis helpers. I’ve heard that some employer plans and even long-term care plans may cover something like this. Because of liability concerns, I suspect your client would not be the dialysis clinic but the pateint. I suspect any dialysis clinic would require the person serving as the home helper to prove that he/she was knowledgeable and could pass a a test of competency and the clinic would probably want the home helper to attend some trainingsessions with the patient. Because state laws and regulations vary, yYou might want to check with the state(s) that you want to have your business to learn whether personnel providing dialysis on patients in their homes need to meet any education or licensure/certification requirements. Finally, it would take time prior to accepting each potential client to verify that his/her insurance covers this service and to find out whether the insurance company’s allowed chargef is enough to cover the company’s overhead costs.

Hello In my research I have found out medicare will pay for service’s if a Doctor (Nephrologist) deem it medically necessary and you have a license Nurse with dialysis training to do the service and I will only have experience staff it is a requirement that all techs are certified and Nurses have proper training in dialysis before they can train other’s such as family or friends or staff to do dialysis treatments. There’s so many different ways to pay most people have secondary insurance and you have the opt of credit cards cash and you could always share the responsiblity with a partner most people due 5-6 treatments a week you could pay for 3days and do the other 3 yourself to cut down on cost and to give yourself time off. We will only provide the service’s we wont have anything to due with the equipment or supplies we will work with the home hemo program the pt decides to choose and follow there rule’s regulation we we communicate with the home hemo programs nurse in all area’s the documentation, labs and meds the maintain equipment and supplys and we will only do what the perscribe treatment. I have a social work and a medical billing service to deal with Insurance issue’s.

Medicare does NOT cover staff-assisted dialysis in a patient’s home (called a “helper” or “paid dialysis aide”). See Medicare Coverage for Kidney Dialysis and Kidney Transplant Services, a booklet written for people who want to learn more about Medicare coverage for kidney failure. This infomation about a paid dialysis aide being non-covered is on page 21:
http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/10128.pdf

Medicare DOES cover “support services” to a home dialysis patient. However, payment for support services is included in the Medicare composite rate for Method I patients and the rate is capped at somewhat over $100 a month for Method II patients and must include an accounting of time and salaries of personnnel to even get that amount. What is considered “suppport services” is are listed in the Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 11 and support services must be provided by certified home dialysis facility’s RN, the dietitian, and social worker.

Medigap plans (Medicare supplement plans) only pay for services that are Medicare covered so if Medicare won’t pay for a paid aide, the Medigap plan won’t either. As stated in my previous email, other types of insurance may cover this service.

I just wanted to say thank you to the ones who have been very helpful and for the e-mails things are starting to come togethier Thanks so much this has been one of the best web sites to get information. Have a great evening.

Glad we can help–and hope you can make it work. Anything that helps people get better dialysis safely is a good thing.

I have worked in dialysis over 13yrs I have listen to family members and patients voice their concerns so I decided to get this started( home hemo partners) off and running because this is what I do and I love what I do help save and maintain quality of life. I bust my but every single day of the week working for someone WHY not do this for the people that matter the most the patients and family and myself . THIS IS A WONDERFUL THING.
Have a great day.

We applaud you for your efforts. We are trying to start an agency in South Georgia.