Looking into hd for my mother

I am looking for information on hd for my mother. We asked at the clinic she does dialysis, they said she wsn’t a candidate for hd because we don’t own the property our trailor sets on. And because we would have to make
too many changes to our sewage system. we live in central Mo. and we are wanting to do hd because of the cost of going into town three times a week. and because we are often snowed in during the winter because we live ten miles down a gravel road. However they wouldn’t even talk to he rabout the hd . Anyone with information that they could share I would appreciate.

You didn’t say what clinic your mom dialyzes at, but there are several clinics in central Missouri that do offer various types of home hemo. Does she have a partner who could help her with home treatments? Most programs require this for safety.

With a trailer, your mom may have limited storage space, and may or may not also have trouble with changing the plumbing (if needed for a certain type of machine) or doing water treatment (she’s likely not on city water, living as far out as she does).

Some thoughts:
– The Renal Solutions Allient Sorbent machine would be ideal for your mom’s case. It uses just a gallon and a half of tap water for each treatment, and needs no special wiring. This is a brand new machine and is not yet widely available.
– The Aksys PhD makes its own dialysis fluid and needs very little storage space for supplies–it uses the same dialyzer and lines for a month. It would need to be plumbed into a drain, and may need some wiring changes, too.
– The NxStage machine, which is used to do short daily home hemo (usually 2-2.5 hour treatments 5-6 days a week) does not require special plumbing or water treatment, because it uses bags of fluid. This would mean needing to have room to store the bags, so whether this could work would depend on the size of the trailer.

You can read about all of the machines on this site, at http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/equipment/hh_mach_01.shtml.

Look for clinics in your mom’s area in our “Find a Center” database at http://www.homedialysis.org/v1/centers/search.php. I suggest that you put in “Missouri” for a state, leave “city” blank, and check the boxes for daily and conventional home hemo. Keep in mind that a home dialysis clinic does not have to be right around the corner, because after training is done, your mom would only need to visit the clinic once a month. So, a clinic in St. Louis or Columbia could work for her.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Based on the information you provided it looks like you are a good candidate for the smaller NxSage dialysis machine which is quite small and fits almost anywhere…

However, as for storage am not certain whether you have that extra space to store the dialysate boxes but if you have room for a small shed outside then your in luck.

Also other things to consider is the weather, you say it snows up there so I assume that having dialysate stored outside may get frozen…unless the shed is kept warm during winter…but most importantly is that you consider haveing the boxes stored inside the trailer in the closet…

Visit my website’s gallery of my NxStage machine setup…
NxStage Gallery!

Dori, You mention the Allient Sorbent isn’t widely available yet. Do you know if it has been FDA approved or if they are still doing clinical trials?

The Renal Solutions Allient Sorbent machine has been FDA approved. Renal Solutions had a press release on its approval 6/22/05. See http://www.renalsolutionsinc.com/home/newsandevents_pr20050622.html.

Besides looking on our website at the different hemodialysis machines that are available for home use, you can read more about Renal Solutions and the Allient Sorbent Hemodialysis System™ at http://www.renalsolutionsinc.com/.

I forgot to mention that not owning the land that a trailer sits on should not be a problem. Plenty of people do home dialysis in apartments, and most of them don’t own the land, either!

From their site…

The Company further announced the approval of an Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) for the initiation of a home hemodialysis clinical trial.

They’re still in tral studies…