Mr. Peanut

We understand there is a connection piece on the NxStage lines referred to as Mr. Peanut. When you do a temporary disconnect, what do you do with the lines?

Never heard that one before…hehe, “Mr Peanut”…or may I say peanut butter? :stuck_out_tongue:

Those brown caps are only there before opening the cartridge…once cartridge is in use those are thrown away, only the dialysate lines have those…from dialysate lines to dialysate bags or Pureflow SL addon…

Temporary disconnect doesn’t involve using peanut better, heh I mean “Mr. Peanut” … :smiley: …the clinic gives you a sterile bridge for temporary disconnects…

The peanut is a white connector piece that comes attached to the lines and is used to connect the art and ven lines so patient can reach the lines easily to connect to needles.

At our clinic we call them Recirculation Connectors…some clinics call them bridges, adaptors…but “Peanut Connector” is first time I hear that… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, the lines go to the A/V spikes that are on the saline bag…

Ummm, use the connector to connect the lines. Are you sure you aren’t Jane using another name, your questions sure sound like her. When and if you start training, you will be trained until you are comfortable. Every clinic has different protocols and methods and you will be trained using theirs.

I honestly don’t remember your story. What is the delay with starting training? Maybe you should try to find someone using the NxStage near you and go see it in action, it would probably alleviate most of your fears. Even go to your unit, I know when I was training I spoke to quite a few visitors exploring their options while I was on so people could see what the modality was like and get their questions answered.

Cathy
home hemo 9/04

Yeah my training nurse called it a “peanut” to. I thought she had made it up.

LOL Gus! Didn’t know there was a whole peanut family. Yeah that’s it- the first one pictured is the one we were introduced to. Aren’t they just adorable? One could collect them like Beanie Babies :lol:

Epoman wrote:

Yeah my training nurse called it a “peanut” to. I thought she had made it up.

Yeah might be a nickname the NxStage people came up with.

Cathy wrote:

Are you sure you aren’t Jane using another name, your questions sure sound like her.

Nope, not Jane.

What is the delay with starting training?

Our unit doesn’t have a program yet, but is looking into it.

Maybe you should try to find someone using the NxStage near you and go see it in action, it would probably alleviate most of your fears.

This is exactly what we are doing. Don’t have any fears- educating ones self eliminates fears.

The only “Mr. Peanut” I know and heard of is this one here…

Har, har, har… :o

Gus may be a senior member but he doesn’t know what he’s talking about! :exploding_head:
It’s a tubing connector or bridge used for recirculation that some people say looks similar to Mr. peanut, hence the nickname.

Gus might have been joking by the “Har, har har” after his post from July 2006. This was almost 17 years ago and shortly after the NxStage System One was FDA approved. That machine that is in wide use today wasn’t as widely used then so it’s also possible that he had not heard that term used for the connector.